VIN NUMBER 1980 KZ 750 G1 II

More
14 Jan 2013 13:42 #567325 by jvinyard
VIN NUMBER 1980 KZ 750 G1 II was created by jvinyard
So I'm in TX and I'll be applying for a bonded title because I purchased my project bike from a seller that didn't have the bike titled in their name (they bought it from an estate sale and that owner had died). Is the VIN etched in the steering column anywhere? I found the paper label with the VIN, but how can you tell that someone didn't swap that out without an etched one? I will need a pencil sketch of the chasis VIN in order to apply for the bonded title (it's required as part of verification on the application). I know there is an engine number and separate frame #, but that's not the same thing. I looked around the steering column and couldn't find a VIN number so I'm at a loss right now. :S

1980 KZ750 LTD II
2003 HD Sportster XL1200C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2013 13:52 #567326 by jvinyard
Replied by jvinyard on topic VIN NUMBER 1980 KZ 750 G1 II
NEVERMIND! I'm a jack@55. I knew it should be on the head stock, but it was hard to see with this dang label in the way and rust around it :angry: Hehe. I'm considering myself a lost cause today.

1980 KZ750 LTD II

More
14 Jan 2013 14:43 #567334 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic VIN NUMBER 1980 KZ 750 G1 II
We all have bad days, I'm pretty out of it today as well, it being monday and all. I had never actually looked for a stamped VIN on a bike and had wondered the same thing myself. Now I know.

Have fun with the title work, I went through that on an old ninja I bought from a guy once. He had bought it from a tow company, but never finished his title transfer. Had to trace it all the way back to California and deal with them, it was good times. Hopefully TX is a bit better, I imagine they would be (originally from McAllen, TX myself).

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
14 Jan 2013 18:17 #567351 by jvinyard
Replied by jvinyard on topic VIN NUMBER 1980 KZ 750 G1 II
Thanks for the encouragement man. I called the DMV today and they couldn't verify the VIN. They said that they only keep records now for up to 10 yrs though and of course, an out of state VIN wouldn't show up in the database. I was pretty surprised that they only hold them in their system for that short of a period. They said they don't have enough room in their database to hold them any longer.

Anyways, I will have to do the TX Bonded Title procedure outlined here: www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/bonded.htm .

I'm really hoping that it goes smoothly and don't have to do much running around to get it approved. I will post when I find out more.

1980 KZ750 LTD II