Front Forks, Which one ?

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
06 Jan 2013 13:27 #566094 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Front Forks, Which one ?

BlackZ1R wrote: First thing to better handling on the Z is to replace the balls with tapered bearings. I have two '78s here that handle really well and brake way better than necessary, all with careful mods to stock components.
Don't buy in to needing to upgrade or replace parts just to be following a trend. My '78 KZ and Z1-R handle and brake well enough to keep you safely in the game in any situation this side of just plain jackassery :blink: on the riders part.

With the correct fork springs, damper rod mods, oil weight or even Race Tech emulators installed, your stock forks will do anything you want to do while riding to Starbucks :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :P . I don't do Starbucks :whistle: :evil: .

A good TeleFix fork brace and a properly mounted steering damper really settles these bikes down in the curves.
I prefer single discs up front on my KZ. Brakes well enough and looks so much cleaner than duals. Both Z1-Rs have dual discs, they are stronger brakes, but are heavier bikes coming into the game. I've never gotten into a situation that the 130/80-18 rear was a hindrance either. Just never knew why a Z would need a 180/55 rear tire unless you're on the drag strip every weekend.

So there you have it. Unless you're hitting the track with your bike, maximize the stock components and enjoy the bike. :cheer:

Attachment popcorn_2013-01-06.jpg not found

Thank you ,thank you ,thank you!

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2013 14:36 #566103 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Front Forks, Which one ?
blackz1r has a few zrx's and one that is really nasty. :evil:

so don't think he hasn't ever rode anything else to compare to.
he has flogged some modern bikes and if he says he can get adequate handling and braking out of one of these old beast with some tweaks,he means it.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R, Colorado Z-1

More
06 Jan 2013 20:07 - 06 Jan 2013 20:15 #566140 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Front Forks, Which one ?
Just do whatever floats your boat, because no matter what you do someone is always going to say you're wrong. :)

Kawasaki used tapered bearings on the ZX11, but went back to ball bearings for the ZX12 and ZX14, even the ZX10R uses ball bearings in the steering head.
Kind of makes you wonder, don't it.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 06 Jan 2013 20:15 by steell.

More
06 Jan 2013 21:57 - 06 Jan 2013 21:58 #566150 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front Forks, Which one ?
Switching from ball bearings to tapered roller bearings is so easy even I could (and did) do it and it is IMHO well worth doing. ;) Get an All-Balls kit from Z1E. Properly tuned stock forks work well enough on the street unless you plan to do funny things. The stock rear shocks were never good, but there are plenty of aftermarket options that will improve your bike's handling. I like my Hagons. Are you experiencing a handling issue that you are trying to correct or just trying to make the bike look different? In addition to replacing steering stem bearings a great many handling issues can be solved by changing fork oil and putting in the correct amount of the correct weight/type fork oil, installing quality shocks, installing quality tires, and ensuring the swingarm bushings are not worn and if so replacing them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 06 Jan 2013 21:58 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, Colorado Z-1