Front Forks, Which one ?

• Colorado Z-1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Dec 2012 00:31 #565038 by Colorado Z-1
Front Forks, Which one ? was created by Colorado Z-1
B) Curious to hear which front fork swap is the nicest for a KZ900 or KZ1000. I'd love to run a wire wheel with dual Disc. brakes, keeping it looking vintage but slightly upgraded.

So which front end would you use(or did use ? ) and why ?

Splitting the air like a Bullet in flight, slipping fast into the night !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2012 12:09 #565071 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Front Forks, Which one ?
Jarrad, a member here had these for sale. He had 2 sets, 1 set is on his bike using I believe zx forks. You might search him and his build and give it a look, very nice.
Here's a link to the wheels for sale on here.
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/561433-wheels#561508

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorado Z-1

• Colorado Z-1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Dec 2012 21:07 #565101 by Colorado Z-1
Replied by Colorado Z-1 on topic Front Forks, Which one ?
Okay ? I am pretty sure I will do the GS1100e rear swing arm set up and dual shocks, most like Koni gas matic's. I want this bike to have as much Vintage flare as possible. so I have to have wire wheels and a disc brake on the rear. The front end can be a bit more modern, still with wires and dual disc brakes. a Fork brace and stock Z-1 fender. So.....SO the question is Do i just buy / find better triple trees or a whole new front fork set up ? I am open for suggestions . Thanks !

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Dec 2012 22:29 #565107 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Front Forks, Which one ?
You could always just rebuild stock forks,everything fits that way B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Colorado Z-1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Dec 2012 23:22 #565113 by Colorado Z-1
Thank you Mr Wireman, I am leaning that way ? with better triple trees and a lower fork brace over the fender. stock disc brakes just cleaned up and powder coated and the stock wire wheels. I am not going racing, just cruising for Burgers ! Thanks ! Michael J.

More
30 Dec 2012 08:01 #565143 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Front Forks, Which one ?
If you go with trees, it's a good time to add trail to improve handling and widen it to use larger, more modern brakes easier. I have 3 different front ends mocked up in the shop playing with wheel upgrades as well as brake upgrades. You might look into Excel wheels, you can have them build you just about any combo off of the KZ hubs. Just something to think about.

www.buchananspokes.net/categories/index.asp

Les

• Colorado Z-1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2012 20:36 #565194 by Colorado Z-1
Sounds good Les, I am trying to keep the vintage Cafe'racer look and wire wheels, the stock brakes seem fine for cruising around town. SO ? wider is fine and new is fine as long as I can retain a vintage race bike look . I will be in touch. thanks !

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 Dec 2012 22:53 #565209 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Front Forks, Which one ?

Colorado Z-1 wrote: Sounds good Les, I am trying to keep the vintage Cafe'racer look and wire wheels, the stock brakes seem fine for cruising around town. SO ? wider is fine and new is fine as long as I can retain a vintage race bike look . I will be in touch. thanks !

You sir are a man after my own heart! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Colorado Z-1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Dec 2012 13:13 #565256 by Colorado Z-1
8)"wireman" You are the Most interesting Prick in the World, hope you have a fantastic New Year. and Thank you !

I am ( forgot to mention ) putting / running a vintage Dunstal fairing on the front end. Going for that low slung and quiet , vintage European styled Cafe' racer that would've / might've run at the Isle's of Mann back in the early 80's. "My Cafe' Cruiser"

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
31 Dec 2012 17:55 #565308 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Front Forks, Which one ?
Now that's something (the fairing) that needs a picture

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

• Colorado Z-1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jan 2013 12:56 #565823 by Colorado Z-1
Still Wondering WHICH front end to use, I am Looking around seeing what others have done , So my Z-1 had ball bearings, do/does the newer bikes have tapered bearings ? And so if the triple tree length is the same or close I guess it would be Okay to use it (new front end) What do you think on this ?

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
06 Jan 2013 04:54 #566058 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Front Forks, Which one ?
First thing to better handling on the Z is to replace the balls with tapered bearings. I have two '78s here that handle really well and brake way better than necessary, all with careful mods to stock components.
Don't buy in to needing to upgrade or replace parts just to be following a trend. My '78 KZ and Z1-R handle and brake well enough to keep you safely in the game in any situation this side of just plain jackassery :blink: on the riders part.

With the correct fork springs, damper rod mods, oil weight or even Race Tech emulators installed, your stock forks will do anything you want to do while riding to Starbucks :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :P . I don't do Starbucks :whistle: :evil: .

A good TeleFix fork brace and a properly mounted steering damper really settles these bikes down in the curves.
I prefer single discs up front on my KZ. Brakes well enough and looks so much cleaner than duals. Both Z1-Rs have dual discs, they are stronger brakes, but are heavier bikes coming into the game. I've never gotten into a situation that the 130/80-18 rear was a hindrance either. Just never knew why a Z would need a 180/55 rear tire unless you're on the drag strip every weekend.

So there you have it. Unless you're hitting the track with your bike, maximize the stock components and enjoy the bike. :cheer:

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee, bluej58, wireman, Colorado Z-1