New to this site as of 12-12-12

More
28 Dec 2012 01:20 #564947 by les holt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2012 01:53 - 28 Dec 2012 02:03 #564954 by SBK Racer
Replied by SBK Racer on topic New to this site as of 12-12-12
Sorry Les,

I do not know it is just a photo I found while browsing ZRX website.. But I think you only need a 50mm upper triple...

:) Luis

les holt wrote: What's a set like that with gauge holders and stem run? Look pretty good

Les

And more pics...

MOTORCYCLES ARE DANGEROUSLY FUN!!!
A good street rider uses judgment, to avoid situations that require superior skill...
A good track rider uses superior skill, to seek situations that define their judgment...

1998 KZ1000P-17 - 2004 PW80 Pit Bike - 2005 SV650R - 2006 SV650 - 2006 GSXR750 - Soon day...
Last edit: 28 Dec 2012 02:03 by SBK Racer.

More
28 Dec 2012 02:04 - 29 Dec 2012 12:16 #564955 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic New to this site as of 12-12-12
I've seen from 50 up to 51.5 uppers, Lowers around 51-52 I've seen some that to use a gullwinged upper you have to space the lower or gullwing it as well. The top on my bike has no gullwing or cutout for the neck, basically a flat 1-1/4' pc. Another thing is the offsets vary, that's usually why I ask for the upper tree off the forks your going to use if I don't allready have the info. I've seen rake added into the trees but not a fan of that, you lose trail and these old kaws need more to be safer.

Les
Last edit: 29 Dec 2012 12:16 by les holt.

More
28 Dec 2012 02:47 #564964 by SBK Racer

les holt wrote: I've seen from 50 up to 51.5 uppers, Lowers around 51-52 I've seen some that to use a gullwinged upper you have to space the lower or gullwing it as well. The top on my bike has no gullwing or cutout for the neck, basically a flat 1-1/4' pc. Another thing is the offsets vary, that's usually why I ask for the upper tree off the forks your going to use if I don't allready have the info. I've seen rake added into the forks but not a fan of that, you lose trail and these old kaws need more to be safer.

Les

Less offset = More trail...

The taller the front tire circunference = More trail

Offsets vary... And the spacing in the forks vary too...

Ideally you want an identical triple to the donor bike... Except that you want the step to reach the forks... So the axle of the upgraded front end is at the same distance from the bottom of the head stock of the OEM KZ1000...

DOES THIS MAKES SENSE?

When I did a front end upgrade to my 2005 SV650, I chose a 2008 GSXR1000 front end for 2 reasons... 1 same triple tree offset... 2 close enough spring rate needed for my personal needs... I needed the forks to be 19mm longer than the GSXR1000 forks... I machined the underside of the GSXR triples 8mm... And, switched the front tire from a 120/60R17 to a 120/70R17 so I calculated the ride height difference at +11mm...

After that I had the bike measured at the local frame straightening shop... Where they also optimized geometry...

:) Luis

A good street rider uses judgment, to avoid situations that require superior skill...
A good track rider uses superior skill, to seek situations that define their judgment...

1998 KZ1000P-17 - 2004 PW80 Pit Bike - 2005 SV650R - 2006 SV650 - 2006 GSXR750 - Soon day...

More
28 Dec 2012 04:16 #564968 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic New to this site as of 12-12-12
What does optimized geometry mean?
Just interested to know.....and curious as I have a build coming up soon
Thanks

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
28 Dec 2012 05:21 - 28 Dec 2012 07:26 #564969 by SBK Racer

bluezbike wrote: What does optimized geometry mean?
Just interested to know.....and curious as I have a build coming up soon
Thanks

There is a sweet spot to archive the best handling characteristics...

For example swing arm angle... A 12-12.5 degrees is best because the tire gets better traction or less slip... This is not just side slip but forward trust... During acceleration, for every revolution of the tire, the bike does not advance the same as the circumference of the tire... Swing arm angle helps the rear end bite... When my bike (my other bike) accelerates, it does not squat down like you would expect... It actually raises slowly... Because the geometry is helping push the tire towards the pavement... There is still weight transfer to the rear end... And if I let it, the front end comes up and lifts off...

Trail helps the bike stay in curse... Too much and the bike is stable, but requires greater effort to initiate and maintain the turn. Too little and the bike behaves very nervously, and head shake or tank slappers happen... The bike should change directions effortlessly... While remaining composed.

This is nothing new, top level road races have mechanics that understand the physics and dynamics of motorcycles... This is just geometry... Measured with suspension fully extended, and unloaded on level ground...

From here, you build the motorcycle suspension... I have done some reading from building frames for race machines to the actual dynamics of motorcycles... By no means I am an expert!!! But, I think I kind of understand how the pieces fit together to make a bike feel easy to handle where it gives you confidence to apply more throttle...

The idea of building a bike (for me) is performance, and secondary, good looks... Comfort is a close third... I am willing to sacrifice some comfort!!! :) Luis

Edited:
NOTE: Just because I know a little bit about POTATOES, does not mean I know about TOMATOES... It does not make me a farmer or even a gardener... I have only owned this KZ1000P, which is obviously not a sport bike, for a little over a week... I am hoping that some of my general knowledge is universal to all two wheel machines... You guys that have play and ridden these bikes for years, are the ones that know all the in's and out's of this bikes... And I am here to learn from you guys... I can share some of what I have learned... I will be glad if some of you find what I know useful... Thanks

Last edit: 28 Dec 2012 07:26 by SBK Racer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorado Z-1

More
29 Dec 2012 01:46 #565041 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic New to this site as of 12-12-12
Well I have already learned a bunch from what you just wrote, I would be very interested in knowing more.....the only thing is I do not want to hijack this thread from Colorado Z1 (whose project sounds like it will be a good one) so maybe you could start a new thread or pm me some places you got info from, that would be great. Many thanks

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78z1Joe

• Colorado Z-1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Dec 2012 21:16 #565103 by Colorado Z-1
Replied by Colorado Z-1 on topic New to this site as of 12-12-12
Mr. Bluebikke, please join in and I will gladly share any and all info I have and acquire.Like / subscribe to this page and let's get this build / biker build off going..... the prize is a season of fun riding and adventure...... Game on ! PS. Les Holt seems to have a lot of good info & tips !

Thanks again, Michael J. Golden, Colorado.

Splitting the air like a Bullet in flight, slipping fast into the night !

• Colorado Z-1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Dec 2012 21:20 #565105 by Colorado Z-1
Replied by Colorado Z-1 on topic New to this site as of 12-12-12
I like the way these look, they'd fit the design of my Cafe' cruiser perfectly. How can we find these and how much ? Michael J.

Splitting the air like a Bullet in flight, slipping fast into the night !