Gauge Cleaning

More
20 Dec 2012 00:24 - 20 Dec 2012 00:35 #563772 by jenkrider
Gauge Cleaning was created by jenkrider
This topic has been covered on here before but I thought I would include a few pictures of my recent gauge cleaning. I got the idea and procedure from other members on here so I thought I'd contribute as well.

My gauges were cloudy and pretty dirty and it was annoying me. The first picture is before and after.
After removing the first gauge from the bike I began to un-crimp the thin retainer ring that holds the top and bottom gauge housing together. As noted in the procedure that I followed from this site, you have to be careful when doing this. I used a few tools, mainly various sizes of small flat screwdrivers. I found that the easiest way to do this was get it un-crimped in one spot first and then use a small flat head to twist the ring open gradually. The first one tool a lot longer than the second. After cleaning with glass cleaner and checking over the internals, I put them back together. I used a pair of pliers wrapped with tape to crimp the ring back shut - the tape kept the pliers from scratching the housing and the ring.

I replaced the foam between the gauge and the brackets and while I was in there I replaced all the bulbs with brighter ones.

I am very pleased with the results and the gauges are clear and bright at night.

Also as a side note, I stripped and re-painted the gauge housings because they were not in great shape. In hindsight I wish I had powdercoated them, but I am not taking the gauges apart again unless I absolutely need to...All in all the job took me two days, and it was a considerable pain but worth it. Be careful to not drop any piece of the housing because it will deform (Yes I did this while removing the paint stripper).

Redline Cycle sells replacement rings that are non-crimp, they are pre-formed with a small screw/nut that tightens them. I did not go this route as I was able to re use my rings but it should be noted that if you end up ruining a ring there IS a source for replacements.

That is all!

76' KZ900
00' KLR650
82' XV920 Virago
74' Ironhead Sportster
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Dec 2012 00:35 by jenkrider.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
20 Dec 2012 01:04 #563774 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Gauge Cleaning
FROST GIANTS!

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
20 Dec 2012 04:40 #563791 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Gauge Cleaning
sorry, I can't help you, but since the thread is open, I need the measurements for a new glass piece and needle for my tachometer. I glued a plastic fork prong where the needle was and had a piece of glass cut for the outside of the tach which I glued and taped on there.