brake rotor grooves

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2012 19:06 #560523 by donthaveakawman
brake rotor grooves was created by donthaveakawman
kz750 ltd 1980 has 3 brake rotors and all of them have grooves/scratches I am not sure if they are supposed to be that way.
They are cross drilled for heat dispersion and I am wondering if I should take them down. I tried my belt sander on the back rotor with the center stand and the wheel spinning with no real results.
I have to get another set of pads for the front.
Should I take the old metal from the bad pads all the way around to flatten the rotors?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2012 21:16 #560543 by steell
Replied by steell on topic brake rotor grooves
They're stainless steel. belt grinder won't do a lot.

The minimum thickness is cast into the rotor, so measure them and figure out if they'll still be thick enough after turning/grinding, the if they are then look around for a machine shop with a Blanchard grinder.

Or measure the diameter (four cylinder I assume) and post it and I'll see if I have any.

KD9JUR

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2012 21:31 #560548 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic brake rotor grooves
Its been that way for a long time, and so evenly, I am wondering if they were made that way.

More
30 Nov 2012 02:28 #560591 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic brake rotor grooves

donthaveakawman wrote: kz750 ltd 1980 has 3 brake rotors and all of them have grooves/scratches I am not sure if they are supposed to be that way.

Not when new, but all rotors develop grooves with use. It depends how deep they are. If you can hang a fingernail in them, that's too deep.

donthaveakawman wrote: They are cross drilled for heat dispersion and I am wondering if I should take them down. I tried my belt sander on the back rotor with the center stand and the wheel spinning with no real results.
I have to get another set of pads for the front.
Should I take the old metal from the bad pads all the way around to flatten the rotors?

I went to Harbor Freight and got a small rectangular sharpening stone and used machine oil and worked the rotor faces gradually (rubbing the stone diagonally across the grooves). Takes a really long time, go slow and do both sides. It took a couple of hours, use calipers to monitor thickness but you probably could only take off a couple of thou in an hour if that much.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Nov 2012 02:31 - 30 Nov 2012 02:37 #560592 by bountyhunter

steell wrote: They're stainless steel. belt grinder won't do a lot.

The minimum thickness is cast into the rotor, so measure them and figure out if they'll still be thick enough after turning/grinding, the if they are then look around for a machine shop with a Blanchard grinder.

There are a couple of places online that grind them, but you can't "turn" them like regular rotors they have to be surface ground like a flywheel. A shop that can do flywheels might be able to do them.

www.thumbtack.com/mi/carleton/motorcycle...-old-rotors-like-new

www.truedisk.net/

here's a blanchard grind service:

www.aptechservicesinc.com/machine.htm

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Nov 2012 02:37 by bountyhunter.

More
30 Nov 2012 11:22 - 23 Jan 2013 12:46 #560631 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic brake rotor grooves
edit error - my mistake
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 12:46 by martin_csr.

More
30 Nov 2012 12:27 #560644 by steell
Replied by steell on topic brake rotor grooves

bountyhunter wrote: There are a couple of places online that grind them, but you can't "turn" them like regular rotors they have to be surface ground like a flywheel.

You can turn them on a lathe, just make a stub shaft to bolt them to that fits in the chuck, then make a two tine tool holder with a tool bit in each tine so you can cut both sides at once, and have at it. Not economically feasible for a commercial shop at the moment, but certainly the guys with lathes in their garage can do it. I'm not sure they couldn't be turned on a regular brake lathe. Can't think of any reason they couldn't be.

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 Nov 2012 13:35 #560655 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic brake rotor grooves

bountyhunter wrote:

steell wrote: They're stainless steel. belt grinder won't do a lot.

There are a couple of places online that grind them, but you can't "turn" them like regular rotors they have to be surface ground like a flywheel. A shop that can do flywheels might be able to do them.

www.thumbtack.com/mi/carleton/motorcycle...-old-rotors-like-new

www.truedisk.net/

here's a blanchard grind service:

www.aptechservicesinc.com/machine.htm

Thats what I do,just take them to an auto parts store that oes flkywheels,just make sure they have enough meat left to machine the grooves out B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2012 17:45 #560683 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic brake rotor grooves

martin_csr wrote: Afterwards, should he look into getting different brake pads having a softer metal? To prevent regrooving the disks?

They're ebc brakes, I don't think there are any hooks underneath the pads, the metal is soft enough to slow me down. :evil:

More
30 Nov 2012 17:54 #560686 by bountyhunter

martin_csr wrote: Afterwards, should he look into getting different brake pads having a softer material? To prevent regrooving the disks?

Problem is that now that asbestos is illegal, newer pads are a lot harder. Most are either metallic or semi metallic. They do seem to eat rotors more than the ones we used 25 years ago.

1979 KZ-750 Twin