Bigger Rim / Tire Problem

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2012 15:40 - 05 Nov 2012 16:13 #557129 by 4TheKZ1000
Bigger Rim / Tire Problem was created by 4TheKZ1000
I am running a 3.50 x 18 rim and a 150-70-18 tire. I am running stock spacing and sprockets. The chain is only clearing the sidewall of the rear tire by a 1/4 inch....really close but never touches and is a solid setup.

I have a chance to purchase a 4.25 x 18 rim and run a 160 to 170 rear tire. This will cause problems with the chain hitting the sidewall in stock form. I would have to space the front / rear sprockets to get the chain away from the tire sidewall.

Here is my problem / question. Do they make a rear spacer that fits the rear Kawasaki disk hub. I would assume needing a 3/8 to 1/2 inch spacer for rear sprocket to clear the rear tire sidewall. I do believe seeing these spacers on a site at one time or another.....whats the forums thoughts on this.

This is the type of spacer Im looking for...but 6 hole for KZ.

Attachment KGrHqNlsFfuTcbLcBQH-g0qMlw60_1.jpg not found

Thanks, Spencer
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2012 16:13 by 4TheKZ1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
05 Nov 2012 15:44 #557130 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Bigger Rim / Tire Problem
Seems workable to me anyway,how much clearance will you have on the brake caliper side? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
05 Nov 2012 15:54 #557133 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Bigger Rim / Tire Problem
Toward the middle of the page...
www.americanclassix.com/streetfighter_conversions.html

I don't see why you couldn't run a normal offset front sprocket and that spacer in the rear as long as you have the space to move the sprocket over without it fouling the swingarm.

The only thing is the rear spacer is 9/16" thick and that's not a normal offset to match the front sprocket. I guess you could get a 3/8" offset front and have the rear machined to the proper thickness to get a true chain run.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
05 Nov 2012 15:58 #557135 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Bigger Rim / Tire Problem
How about the brake side? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2012 16:11 #557136 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Bigger Rim / Tire Problem

wireman wrote: Seems workable to me anyway,how much clearance will you have on the brake caliper side? B)

I have 3/4 inch on brake side.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2012 16:16 #557137 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Bigger Rim / Tire Problem

StreetfighterKz wrote: Toward the middle of the page...
www.americanclassix.com/streetfighter_conversions.html

I don't see why you couldn't run a normal offset front sprocket and that spacer in the rear as long as you have the space to move the sprocket over without it fouling the swingarm.

The only thing is the rear spacer is 9/16" thick and that's not a normal offset to match the front sprocket. I guess you could get a 3/8" offset front and have the rear machined to the proper thickness to get a true chain run.

Later, Doug

Thats it Doug....American Classic had them...thanks man...couldnt rem where I saw it..