FAQ? - Changing Fork Oil - '83 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Dr

More
26 Oct 2012 11:40 #555859 by upncummr
I have an '83 KZ 750 LTD that has fork oil that's somewhere between 16 and 29 years old. I think it's time to change it.

The fork seals are not leaking but the front end is a bit squishy. I assume part of that is due to the age of the fork oil and part is due to the fact that the air pressure in the forks is close to zero.

Can anyone tell me how to change the fork oil without replacing the fork seals? My buddy that worked on the bike with me last weekend said if the fork seals weren't leaking that he'd advise leaving them as is.

I've referred to the KZ 750 Work Shop Manual (The Bible) but it doesn't cover the LTD Shaft Drive (F1) model.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2012 11:45 - 23 Jan 2013 12:25 #555860 by martin_csr
[images gone - links broken]
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 12:25 by martin_csr.

More
26 Oct 2012 12:23 #555866 by upncummr
Martin:

I'll take a look at that again later today. I had actually found that topic earlier by doing a search on the web site for "fork oil change" but I was having a hard time relating it to what I see on my bike. But keep in mind I have very little experience with motorcycles and not much experience as a mechanic.

The thing that threw me for a loop initially was that the top of the fork doesn't have a bolt that you can remove. There's a smooth cap/cover on the top.

We had initially come to the conclusion over the weekend that the air valve needed to be removed and the oil refilled using a syringe. But rather than setting forth on that path, I thought I'd investigate that a bit further here first.

The PDF version of the factory manual that I have doesn't cover the F1 model and the aftermarket manual that I have didn't have very detailed instructions.

Gary

More
26 Oct 2012 14:01 #555873 by 650ed
I don't think you will be able to withdraw all the fluid using a syringe because you won't be able to get a tube down below the fork cylinder. Doesn't your model have a drain screw similar to that on the KZ650 (see pic)? Ed

Attachment 00000_2012-10-26.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
26 Oct 2012 14:35 #555875 by upncummr

650ed wrote: I don't think you will be able to withdraw all the fluid using a syringe because you won't be able to get a tube down below the fork cylinder. Doesn't your model have a drain screw similar to that on the KZ650 (see pic)? Ed

Attachment 00000_2012-10-26.jpg not found

Ed:

I'll be checking that this weekend.

If it's got the lower drain screw, it is as simple as removing the drain screw on each fork, measuring the amount of fluid that comes out; and then refilling the forks with the appropriate fork oil using a syringe or other pumping device? (Note - the syringe was not to be used to extract the fluid; only for refilling.)

Gary

More
26 Oct 2012 15:51 #555889 by 650ed
If yours has the drain screws you remove a screw and pump the old oil out by pushing down and up on the forks with the front wheel on the ground. Do one fork tube at a time including re-filling. If both sides are drained at the same time the forks can collapse down to the bottom. For re-filling you will need to consult the manual. To accurately re-fill you measure the level of the fork oil with the front wheel off the ground and the springs in. The measurement is taken using a dowel or other appropriate tool from the top of the fork tube down to the top level of the fork oil. The correct distance should be listed in the manual. After changing the oil in both sides to that level you pump the forks and ride it a bit then check again and adjust as necessary. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Oct 2012 15:56 - 22 Feb 2013 10:10 #555890 by martin_csr
Since your forks are a little different at the top, you may have to use the drain screws. My experience w them is that it isn't real easy to drain the forks there. It seemed more efficient to remove the caps & just dump it out.

I looked at the diagrams for you F1 Ltd-Shaft & the forks have different caps which are held in place w circlips & yours have the air crossover assy. So I'm not sure of the best way to do those.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 10:10 by martin_csr.

More
26 Oct 2012 16:11 #555894 by Patton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
26 Oct 2012 16:23 #555898 by upncummr

martin_csr wrote: Since your forks are a little different at the top, you may have to use the drain screws. My experience w them is that it isn't real easy to drain the forks there... each orifice is small. I tried pumping n stuff, but that just made a big ole' mess. It seemed more efficient to remove the caps & just dump it out.

However, I looked at the diagrams for you F1 Ltd-Shaft & the forks have different caps which are held in place w circlips & yours have the air crossover assy. So I'm not sure of the best way to do yours.

PS: if you need a manual, get one for the KZ750 Shaft models. It'll say Shaft on the cover. Make sure it covers at least 1983. Kawasaki factory manuals have a model application chart on the back cover, so make sure yours is listed.

Martin:

Thanks for the info.

I just ordered a workshop manual through Ebay earlier today. It should be here next week.

Gary

More
26 Oct 2012 16:23 #555899 by upncummr
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Patton wrote:

Good Fortune! :)

Patton:

Thanks for the info.

I just ordered a workshop manual through Ebay earlier today. It should be here next week.

Gary