rear wheel removal?

More
19 Jun 2006 16:09 #55554 by rickj
rear wheel removal? was created by rickj
I should change my rear tire and have no idea of the procedure for wheel removal. I searched here AND looked in a clymers (chain drive 4 bangers) and a manual for 750 twins- also disc/chain. I have an 83LTD with drums (brakes that is!)and a belt drive.is the procedure the same only there's a belt or is the drum/belt a totally different animal?

Assuming I get that far...what would be the "correct" (original) tire- for the bike- it's so "original" looking I'd like to stay with it- unless original is not a great idea. I commute about 50 miles a day.

Right now I gotta get the wheel off. It's kinda tempting to just bring it to the dealer and say- change it- but I enjoy working on it and might as well learn what I can- Just turned 45,000miles today burns some oil (it ain't leaking) but runs great!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
19 Jun 2006 18:10 #55583 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic rear wheel removal?
I *think* that many bikes have the recommended tire size stamped on the rim... mine do at least. My stock 750s came with 4.00-18 on the rear, which I believe equates roughly to a 110-18. I went with a 120-18, and love it.

On my bikes, to remove the rear wheel, you put the bike on centerstand, remove the axle cotter pin, remove axle nut (you *may* have to loosen the chain tension adjusters here), and remove axle. Lay the chain over to the left, roll wheel back to fender. Remove sprocket drive assembly from left side of wheel. Remove wheel from under bike.

Hope that helps... your mileage may vary...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
19 Jun 2006 18:13 #55586 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rear wheel removal?
Abd the drum brake is pretty much the same as posted above, with the exception of having to disconnect the brake stay and brake linkage rod from the drum brake.
Your rear tire should be a 130/90/16 if I recall correctly.

KD9JUR

More
19 Jun 2006 18:39 #55602 by rickj
Replied by rickj on topic rear wheel removal?
- but I don't have a chain...same with belt? got any torque settings for belt drivethingysprocket? you guys all use locktite-blue?

As far as tire- I was wondering more about the style/manufacturer/tread design- I can get the size from existing or the dealer- but he might not know what's right for this year bike

Post edited by: rickj, at: 2006/06/19 21:46

More
19 Jun 2006 19:51 #55622 by steell
I'm not following you on the Loctite question, what's the Loctite for?

You might want to check www.kz400.com to see how the KZ440 belt is adjusted.

Original rear tire was "TIRE 130/90-16 K427", sounds like a Dunlop to me :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/19 22:59

KD9JUR

More
19 Jun 2006 19:56 #55623 by steell
From buykawasaki.com

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2006 03:25 #55654 by rickj
loctite is a chemical that is sparingly put on threads before re-assembly that "glues" the bond between male and female thread. All torque settings are followed- the loctite adds a degree of securoty from loosening. many parts of many new vehicles seem to use it. (I say seem because I can't swear to that fact!)

Thanks for the exploded view- it didn't occur to me to look at their parts chart.

I'll see if that tire is avail around here- also check my owners manual re size,

Thanks-I just get nervous before I start tearing into things- even relatively simple jobs.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
20 Jun 2006 05:02 #55663 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic rear wheel removal?
steell wrote:...Original rear tire was "TIRE 130/90-16 K427", sounds like a Dunlop to me :)[/quote]

Yep, that's the Dunlop Qualifier, I believe. I have one on my 400 rear. They are good looking tires that have a bit of a "retro" look to them, I think. Of course they've looked that way for years, so they aren't really "retro", they're "old design"... ;)

If you look in any motorcycle parts magazine you'll see the Qualifier matched up with a front tire that looks "period-style", too, I can't remember the name and I'm at work so no catalog handy...

They should be VERY easy to find....

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
20 Jun 2006 06:13 #55682 by steell
I know what Loctite is, and I am familiar with the different grades of it, I just don't know what part on the rear wheel you would want to put it on and why. If you put Loctite on the axle nut, the brake stay nut, or the brake linkage hardware, I think you will regret it, plus if I recall correctly, all those have locking pins anyway.

If you are talking about the sprocket mounting bolts, there is no reason to remove those anyway, the whole thing just slides out of the rim.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/20 09:15

KD9JUR

More
20 Jun 2006 07:22 #55705 by rickj
"If you are talking about the sprocket mounting bolts, there is no reason to remove those anyway, the whole thing just slides out of the rim."

Yup- that's what I meant- I thought that I had to remove the sprocket!

Sorry if I came off patronizing about locktite-I WAS kind of thinking- how coiuld he know so much and not have heard of loctite- I thought maybe it was just a car thing!

I'll ask around for that tire- that was EXACTLY what I wanted to know!

More
20 Jun 2006 07:24 - 03 Dec 2008 19:15 #55706 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 19:15 by JMKZHI.

More
20 Jun 2006 08:02 #55714 by rickj
JMKZHI wrote:

This would be a good time to get new rear brake shoes if they haven't been replaced in a while (or ever). The glue that binds the lining to the shoe can fail over time, causing the rear wheel to lock up when the lining comes loose. Mine came off as the bike was rolled off the center stand - very lucky.

JMK.

you read my mind!! I didn't know about the glue thing- but I believe they could use a look-see and new shoes!

Post edited by: rickj, at: 2006/06/20 13:14