• Page:

TOPIC:

650 swingarm bushings to bearings? 18 Jun 2006 13:41 #55340

• hardr0ck68
  • hardr0ck68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
Ok so my project bike ia about ready to get the ass end tore off (again). This time i want to install new swingarm bushings; unless it is possiable to toss in some needle bearings.

So my questions are as flooows
1 can i use my 1977 c1 swingarm with bearings; or would i need to find a swingarm that came with them factory?

2 What would i need for the swap (if its possiable). Bearings, new pivot bolt? some kind of spacer? what?

3 would it be cheaper/easier/possiable to just buy a swingarm off another 650 with bearings and just drop in(errr well pound with a BFH im sure) some new bearings?

THanks any information would be great! I searched here; but it just occured to me i did not surch the archive...so im off to do that! Thanks again
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

650 swingarm bushings to bearings? 19 Jun 2006 20:12 #55627

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
You should be able to get away with installing the sleeve (it's straight instead of steeped like the sleeve in your bike) and bearings from a '78 KZ650C2 or '78 KZ650B2 into the swingarm on your '77.

The swingarm off of the '77 KZ650C1 parts bike I bought a few years back already had it done by it's PO, so I know it's "doable".
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

650 swingarm bushings to bearings? 19 Jun 2006 20:36 #55633

• wireman
  • Visitor
its been a while,but i seem to remember having to hone the inside of swingarm out on 900 swingarms to fit needle bearings in place of bushings.id just swap out the swingarm for a goodone with double needle bearings.;)

650 swingarm bushings to bearings? 19 Jun 2006 23:37 #55648

• hardr0ck68
  • User
i checked earlier and found that the c1 and c2 have different part numbers for the swingarm. So im thinking it might be best to do a full swingarm swap.

Now the question is; are their any real differances between 650 swingarms? Will a 78 c2 swingarm be just as good a choice as an 80 something?

I just want to know what to look for. Thanks guys!
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

650 swingarm bushings to bearings? 20 Jun 2006 06:23 #55689

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Are you going to all this trouble just to switch from bushings to needle bearings?

If so, I don't think it is worth it, some people with track bikes spend money to convert from needle bearings to bushings :)

There is one advantage, as these bikes get older it's easier to find standard bearings than bushings that are only available from Kawasaki.
KD9JUR

650 swingarm bushings to bearings? 20 Jun 2006 07:43 #55708

• gas
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
steell wrote:

Are you going to all this trouble just to switch from bushings to needle bearings?

If so, I don't think it is worth it, some people with track bikes spend money to convert from needle bearings to bushings :)

There is one advantage, as these bikes get older it's easier to find standard bearings than bushings that are only available from Kawasaki.

The bushings are also available at Z1Enterprises. If the bushings wont come out, take the blade off a hack saw, feed it through the swingarm, then reattach. I sawed 4 deep grooves at all compass points in the old bushings, then whacked them from inside with a long drift. They came right out then.

650 swingarm bushings to bearings? 20 Jun 2006 07:55 #55710

• hardr0ck68
  • User
So there is no notcable differance between bearings and bushings? I was thinking that the bearings would be the better system.
1977 kz650 c1

650 swingarm bushings to bearings? 20 Jun 2006 12:18 #55759

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
hardr0ck68 wrote:

So there is no notcable differance between bearings and bushings? I was thinking that the bearings would be the better system.

Some people say the bushings are better and some say the bearings are better, personally, as long as they are kept lubed, I don't think there would be a noticable difference :)
KD9JUR

• Page: