83' kz750 rear brake ceased?

More
02 Oct 2012 10:49 - 02 Oct 2012 10:53 #551975 by tv219
83' kz750 rear brake ceased? was created by tv219
I purchased this bike this weekend, I'm working to get the engine working however wen I push down on the rear brake pedal only moves and inch when I apply a good amount of pressure. Also feels like the break is clamping onto the tire. If I push the pedal down I physically have to bring it back up? Is the maybe from the engine not running (dumb question?) or something else. My neighbor mentioned it looked like a hydraulic brake? Any help means a lot !!

Bensalem, PA
Last edit: 02 Oct 2012 10:53 by tv219.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2012 11:12 #551980 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 83' kz750 rear brake ceased?

tv219 wrote: I purchased this bike this weekend, I'm working to get the engine working however wen I push down on the rear brake pedal only moves and inch when I apply a good amount of pressure. Also feels like the break is clamping onto the tire. If I push the pedal down I physically have to bring it back up? Is the maybe from the engine not running (dumb question?) or something else. My neighbor mentioned it looked like a hydraulic brake? Any help means a lot !!

If needed, this link includes a down-loadable service manual, when scrolled down to "The Bible."
Click > kz.bike-night.com/
The scroll down to and click on: "The Bible."

Where the rear brake seems to be working all right when pressing the foot pedal down, but the pedal doesn't return to normal riding position when no longer being pressed down, it may result from rust and corrosion in the pivot area.

Could try applying oil while moving the pedal up and down by hand, in hopes that some oil may seep into and lube the joint.

Or better yet, remove the pedal and do a proper clean-up and lube.

There's a link in my signature for finding a parts diagram on kawasaki.com.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Oct 2012 11:45 - 23 Jan 2013 00:30 #551982 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 83' kz750 rear brake ceased?
my mistake looked at wrong diagram
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 00:30 by martin_csr.

More
02 Oct 2012 20:04 #552071 by tv219
Replied by tv219 on topic 83' kz750 rear brake ceased?
I dont know what exact model it is. I think it is the L3. In another forum people are helping me. The front fairing was added I beleive. I definetly want to fix the rear brake. The front is fine but I still will look at it. Just to mention. Its not easy pushing down either. I have to apply good amount of pressure for it to move an inch. And the same to bring it back up. I took off the pedal itself and oiled it up with no luck. I plan on taking it apart completely. just yanking it off and figuring what the freak is going on.! :angry: Is there anything I should be worried about when taking it apart?

Bensalem, PA

More
03 Oct 2012 10:19 - 23 Jan 2013 00:52 #552191 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 83' kz750 rear brake ceased?
never mind error
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 00:52 by martin_csr.