81 H1 kz 750 LTD Front MC brake question

More
29 Sep 2012 18:57 #551577 by krifartida
81 H1 kz 750 LTD Front MC brake question was created by krifartida
I was finally able get the circlip holding the piston on the MC out.
Needless to say there was loads of crap inside, but all cleaned and replaced.
Now - i have no pressure at all....????

Before this i was unable to bleed the brakes and kept getting air in to the system, now there is no pressure building at all.

The MC i have is round, with a plastic cup for a reservoir, and looks nothing like the aluminum rectangle MC in the book or diagrams.

I am not sure who to proceed now.

ALL HELP IS WELCOME! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2012 20:06 #551584 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 H1 kz 750 LTD Front MC brake question

krifartida wrote: ...have no pressure at all....

With assembled master cylinder, reservoir filled, and brake hose banjo disconnected,
does squeezing the brake lever push brake fluid out of the exit hole?

Does successively squeezing the lever continue pushing more fluid out the hole with each squeeze of the lever?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Sep 2012 20:47 #551591 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic 81 H1 kz 750 LTD Front MC brake question
You have to bleed the master cylinder first before bleeding the system. I take the master cylinder to my vice. I have an old handle bar mounted in the vice. I attach the master cylinder to the old handle bar. I fill the M/C with fluid. I pull the lever and before releasing the lever I plug the hole with my finger then I release the lever then as I pull the lever again I slightly ease the pressure off the hole with my finger then plug it againa s I release the lever. After a couple of times you feel the pressure build on your finger and when you have pressure you are done bleeding the M/C. It can get messy so be carefull. Put back on the bike and bleed the rest of the system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Sep 2012 21:42 #551598 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 81 H1 kz 750 LTD Front MC brake question
Was the bore of the mastercylinder scratched up when you got it apart? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
30 Sep 2012 13:40 #551685 by krifartida
Replied by krifartida on topic 81 H1 kz 750 LTD Front MC brake question
Bore was clean as far as i can tell. All other components were also cleaned up and look fine. did not micro measure. I will try to bleed the MC as suggested, though i never had to do that before, on this or any other bike....

More
01 Oct 2012 21:02 #551874 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic 81 H1 kz 750 LTD Front MC brake question
When I had to flush out my front system,I ran into the same problem.I figured out that the caliper bleeder screws need to be straight up (12 o'clock) position.If you try to do them on the bike they end up around the 10 position.This traps air in the top of the caliper,and it will not come out.Remember,air goes to the top,and the bleeder needs to be at the highest place you can get it.Sometimes it helps to remove the caliper,and hold the piston with a pair of channel locks to give it some resistance.Yes you need about 4 hands to do this,so a helper who can follow simple directions(squeeze and hold) helps.With the caliper off,open the bleeder (making sure it's straight up) and gravity bleed out as much air as possible before pressure bleeding the system.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)