Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Straightening a bent frame. 30 Oct 2005 20:39 #5515

• justice
  • justice's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have got myself another Z650 (this one runs tho).

It has obviously been dropped. I will be pulling it down completely to inspect the frame, but upon lifting the seat have found that the rear most section is a bit twisted. Would simply heating this up and twisting it back be ok? It is right at the back of the bike behind where the shocks bolt on, so shouldnt have much effect on the overall strength of the frame. I was just after sombody elses opinion.

Also... on both my bikes the kick start levers seem to be quite worn and the bit you stomp on doesnt sit horizontal, it points more to the ground. This is a pain with wet boots, my foot just slips off. Is there an easy fix for this? Or a part I can replace? Is it the bit that bolts on the the kick start shaft that is worn or the lever itself?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Straightening a bent frame. 30 Oct 2005 21:16 #5519

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
justice wrote:

I have got myself another Z650 (this one runs tho).

It has obviously been dropped. I will be pulling it down completely to inspect the frame, but upon lifting the seat have found that the rear most section is a bit twisted. Would simply heating this up and twisting it back be ok? It is right at the back of the bike behind where the shocks bolt on, so shouldnt have much effect on the overall strength of the frame. I was just after sombody elses opinion.

Also... on both my bikes the kick start levers seem to be quite worn and the bit you stomp on doesnt sit horizontal, it points more to the ground. This is a pain with wet boots, my foot just slips off. Is there an easy fix for this? Or a part I can replace? Is it the bit that bolts on the the kick start shaft that is worn or the lever itself?

Get a MIG welder and on the side that is bent UP more run a bead weld along the bottom of the tubing there. It will pull that side down a bit.

Straightening a bent frame. 05 Nov 2005 18:55 #6736

• justice
  • User
I'm not sure I follow.

The frame is bent a fair bit.

Am I better off sending it to an expert?

Straightening a bent frame. 05 Nov 2005 19:44 #6748

• John68
  • User
collision "expert" here...

most bike frames are made of mild steel, so heating it up adn twisting it back would be the best thing to do. that's about all a frame machine does in a body shop. it's nothing more than clamps and chains and hydraulic rams the can pull the snot out of a bear's nose. just look for the stressed bits where you can tell it tweaked and heat those areas up. you might need 2 people to heat and pull simultaneously to get it right.
Good luck.

Also, with the kick starter, if you don't have a welder, U2U me, and I will be glad to fix that badboy for fun, if you want to spend the couple of bucks to have it shipped.

Straightening a bent frame. 06 Nov 2005 20:42 #6902

• justice
  • User
Thanks for the offer but I think postage would be a bit pricey :)

I should be able to find someone local to do it for me.

I did some ringing around about the frame and found two shops, both 2-3 hours drive from where I live.

They reckon about $AU150 (about $US110) to straighten the subframe and they will make sure the rest of the frame is straight at the same time.

• Page: