z1 monoshock conversions

More
22 Sep 2012 23:34 #550335 by Mike26
z1 monoshock conversions was created by Mike26
Hi guys. Still workin on my z1 monoshock conversion. For those of you who have gone through all the trouble, I mean fun, of bracing your frames and converting to monoshock swingarms and new front forks, are you happy with the results? How your bikes handle/ride is what i'm really interested in. Anything you wish you'd done, hindsight being 20/20 and all? Just looking for a little inspiration/information right about now. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Sep 2012 00:12 #550340 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic z1 monoshock conversions
Heres a couple shots of some of todays work getting a frame straight enough to begin bracing it up,not for the faint of heart! :woohoo:

Attachment Photo696.jpg not found

Attachment Photo703.jpg not found

Attachment Photo702.jpg not found

It depends on just how ambitious you are and how bad you really want to get things straight before you start bracing,Ill finish welding in the oversized 1 1/2" back bone tube monday to get everything tied together then Ill start the actual frame brace installation so I can work the bugs out of the kits on an actual frame before sending the others out.
Thats a piece of stock backbone held up next to the new one. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
24 Sep 2012 00:34 #550538 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic z1 monoshock conversions
Just having done the mono conversion so far I will say I love it the bike should've been designed that way originally

What I wished I would have done differently? I wished I would've had Les build me his bolt on version
but other than that wiremans frame brace would be cool also

my problem was over xellousness of cutting things off that could've been trimmed (the brake Boss)
which neccessitaded a rearset fabrication that was not fully thought out.

Taking a more methodical approach to the front end swap.

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
24 Sep 2012 00:50 #550542 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic z1 monoshock conversions
Biggest point on any kind of chassis work I point out is to get everything as straight as possable before starting to add anything,the more stuff you add the harder it is to fix after the fact. B)
And another thing I try to impress upon my helper when it comes to plumbing is to think like a service/repair guy,make sure everything is easily accessable when its done.
The nicest brackets and bracing and welding in the world is worthless when your broke down someplace and you cant get access to bolt to fix something or having to yank the motor out to adjust your valves or change spark plugs just sucks! :sick: :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.