offset fork races to rake front end???

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
17 Sep 2012 09:01 #549197 by baborz72
offset fork races to rake front end??? was created by baborz72
Hopefully I am not re-posting an old topic here. Does anyone make, or is anyone aware of offset headset races to rake front end on a kz900z1??? These parts are commonplace in the world of Harley Davidsons and with the front ends of these bikes really needing the extra rake, surely somebody makes a set.

It'll go...or...It'll blow!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2012 10:54 #549214 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic offset fork races to rake front end???
the same with trees you can order raked trees for harley but I havent found a KZ person
that will even discuss it.

If anyone knows if anyone makes a set of offset races I would like to know also

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Sep 2012 12:53 #549233 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic offset fork races to rake front end???
I kind of wondered about something like that years ago for being able to switch over a bike for drag racing on the weekends for straight line running down the 1/4 mile,then be able to switch it back in a couple hrs for normal riding around town but never really pursued the idea.
I guess after after all the years of riding severely over powered streetbikes and wild rides on the old 1327 down the 1/8 mile with unraked frontends Ive learned to just go with the wheelie! :woohoo:

Attachment gagorder.png not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2012 15:23 #549274 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic offset fork races to rake front end???
Go oldschool on the muther....sawsall that frame, plug it weld it back....nasty back alley fab....come on man!!!!!!!!!!!

More
17 Sep 2012 17:08 #549292 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic offset fork races to rake front end???
Raked trees give you less trail which mean quicker turn in and less high speed stability! These old bike are notorious for head shake and you would only be adding to it. You can go to a lower offset tree setup and calm them down a bunch. A 78 KZ for example has 60mm offset trees, a ZX has 24mm. Just doing a swap gives you more trail and hence more stability at higher speeds, not to mention the added fork stiffness and cool factor. B)

Les

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
18 Sep 2012 00:14 #549382 by baborz72
Replied by baborz72 on topic offset fork races to rake front end???
I wasn't referring to "raking trees". I was referring to accentric bearing sets, which act the same as a raked frame. The raked triple trees are dangerous and should not be used on ANYTHING! Offset bearing races however, move the axis point and raise the amount of trail exactly the same as a cut frame. The only thing is, you don't have to butcher up a vintage frame to achieve your goal. Cost is also dramatically cut, as you don't need a fabricator or a frame jig to install them.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Sep 2012 00:19 #549384 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic offset fork races to rake front end???

baborz72 wrote: I wasn't referring to "raking trees". I was referring to accentric bearing sets, which act the same as a raked frame. The raked triple trees are dangerous and should not be used on ANYTHING! Offset bearing races however, move the axis point and raise the amount of trail exactly the same as a cut frame. The only thing is, you don't have to butcher up a vintage frame to achieve your goal. Cost is also dramatically cut, as you don't need a fabricator or a frame jig to install them.

I never thought of that,how does it work? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
18 Sep 2012 06:45 #549396 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic offset fork races to rake front end???
I see what your saying and yes, it is much different. The subject of raked trees come up a lot so I guess I just didn't read fully into it. It would work, provided you could find the room to get them in. Not a lot of room to move things around much.

Les

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
18 Sep 2012 07:53 #549407 by baborz72
Replied by baborz72 on topic offset fork races to rake front end???
Yea, I was looking at mine and the head tube is much smaller in diameter than that of the Sportster. I guess I will be rakinh that baby. Now...... Add to the bottom or just notch the top and tilt'er on back????