Need your help on three items

More
11 Sep 2012 22:37 #548145 by Spitfire151
Need your help on three items was created by Spitfire151
First off, can anyone tell me what this is? It is located on the left side of the bike (just behind the gear shift):

Second, I currently have a 'Racer' tire on the front and a Shinko Podium Radial 140/60 R18 on the rear:

Lastly, I am looking to replace my tires with these Duro tires:

Front: www.bikebandit.com/duro-hf317-classic-vintage-motorcycle-tire

Rear: www.bikebandit.com/duro-hf314-classic-vintage-motorcycle-tire

What are your thoughts on them?

Thank you for any and all help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2012 23:03 #548152 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Need your help on three items
It looks like your bike originally came with some sort of interface between the transmission and side stand. Probably some to keep from putting the bike in gear with the side stand down; a sort of safety device. (see diagram below that shows the parts that are missing).

As far as the tires go, I always go for function (safety and performance) over appearance. Obviously not everyone agrees on tires, but rather than trying to find tires with a retro look I would try to find tires that will make the bike handle as well as it can. Ed

Attachment 00000_2012-09-11.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
11 Sep 2012 23:10 #548156 by Spitfire151
Replied by Spitfire151 on topic Need your help on three items
Great find sir! I was actually thinking my current tire has very little grip on the sides so the Duro would be an upgrade for when it's leaning so as to not lose traction. As for the rear, I think the Shinko is too large compared to the stock specifications? I had thought the Duro was a cheap and reliable replacement. But that's why I posted here first, I don't know much on tires.

More
11 Sep 2012 23:26 #548160 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Need your help on three items
If it was mine I would be trying to find a good deal on some Pirelli or Bridgestone tires as close to the bike's original stock sizes as possible. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Sep 2012 20:52 #548312 by Spitfire151
Replied by Spitfire151 on topic Need your help on three items
Thanks for the input, I don't plan on taking the thing passed 55mph, it tops out around 75 according to the stock speedo. I'm more interested in safety and really want to upgrade the front tire but would like to keep a little of the era's look if possible.

These IRC GS11 tires were recommended: www.bikebandit.com/irc-gs-11-motorcycle-tire#pr-header-amp3596

But I will look up Pirelli and Bridgestones.