Bike won't turn.

More
03 Sep 2012 23:01 #546499 by R.R.R.
Bike won't turn. was created by R.R.R.
Last week I took this bike ( 81 kw1100 A)off road. I missed a curve laid it down and slide through a ditch. Luckily I only broke the windshield. Twisted the handle bars and some cosmetic stuff. I drove it back about 30 miles. I put the bike on a platform clamped the wheel down and pulled the handle bars back straight. Well so think.
I rode it today about 15 miles and it seems like the bike just doesn't want to turn at low speed or high speeds. I have to slow way down. It feels like the front and back want to go different directions. I need to know where to start and what to look for.
Any help would be appreciated.

81 Kz100A Redneck Rice Rocket

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Sep 2012 23:26 #546505 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Bike won't turn.
Can you get it up on the center stand then prop front wheel off the ground to eyeball it?
Id say its more likely you kinked something in the front than the rear. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Sep 2012 23:33 #546721 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Bike won't turn.
Glad you are okay. Give the bike a good going over. Make sure nothing got bent and is now obstructing your ability to turn the front wheel completely from stop to stop, these stops are located on the lower triple tree.

There's a really good chance your upper and lower triple trees are no longer aligned. Look down the fork tubes and see if they are still parallel to each other. You may have to look a few times and from slightly different angles. To get them straightened out, put the bike on the center stand or equivalent, -slightly- loosen the stem bolt and the stem clamp bolt. Loosen the clamp bolts that hold the forks on the top triple tree. Loosen the clamps that hold the forks to the front axle down at the front wheel. Grab the handle bars and twist in whatever direction is necessary while holding the front wheel straight. Tighten it all back up in the reverse order. You only need to loosen the clamps just enough to allow for adjustment, not back them all the way out.

Verify the tops of your forks are at the same height where they come out of the top triple tree.
Verify your rear wheel is aligned properly. I usually sight down the chain with the guard removed to make sure the chain isn't being tweaked. I turn the rear wheel and listen to the chain to hear if it is grabbing on the sprocket teeth. Watching the chain to see if it bounces up and down excessively on the slack side (the section below the swingarm) as I turn the wheel can help to tell if it is hanging up on the sprockets.