zinc plating

• GregZ
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Sep 2012 21:47 #546283 by GregZ
zinc plating was created by GregZ
Has anyone had all the frame hardware nuts bolts re zinced? I've heard stories about five gallon buckets full of nuts and bolts replated for $15 -20 bucks, but it's always a friend of of friend of a friend
Any help appriciated
cheers
gregz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Sep 2012 22:41 #546292 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic zinc plating
learn to do your own polishing,thats the expensive part of plating.
Its also the part that makes the most differance in the outcome. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 Sep 2012 22:51 #546293 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic zinc plating
search.eastwood.com/search?w=polishing+wheels Is a website for wheels & polishing equipment.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Sep 2012 09:36 - 03 Sep 2012 09:42 #546344 by pig9r
Replied by pig9r on topic zinc plating
Look for a place that will use a process called barrel plating. That is the most economical way to do it. They will have to rack plate the bigger pieces like axle, swing arm and engine mounting bolts. How good they turn out depends on how well they clean the parts. Discuss this with the plater as they are likely used to doing new production pieces not greasy rusty 30 year old hardware. If your plater is not interested in putting much time in cleaning and degreasing you will have to clean and wire wheel them yourself. I had most of the parts on my 76 KZ 900 done and it cost $60. I did have to hit them with some autosol afterward to shine them up but it didn't take very long. I also used the Eastwood tin zinc kit on a few parts thaat didnt make it the plater and it works ok, but I wouldn't want to attempt to do that to every part.

Here is the place I used and some info on barrel plating: www.kcpl8r.com/RackBarrelMasking.html
Last edit: 03 Sep 2012 09:42 by pig9r.