Removing and Replacing a front fork stud

More
01 Aug 2012 23:45 #540122 by Knowmad
1977 KZ1000

I have a 77 and a 78 Kz1000. I am transferring my favorite parts to the 78 and creating a quasi show bike. The 77 has Z1R front fork down tubes and the lower portion is chromed. We all know how hard it is to keep the alum forks clean and get them the shine. Not a problem with these forks! I want to get them over to the 78. The problem is one of the studs has only a few good threads making it in my opinion unsafe. It needs to be replaced.

I know the trick to using two nuts together to back the stud out but these are steel in aluminum and I am afraid they are really stuck and I may snap it off. Then I would be in a world of hurt.

Questions:

1. Anyone done this before?
2. Are there any tricks to ensure success? (heat?)
3. Where can I get a replacement stud? What size are they? My experience with these type parts is the threads are different from modern so you have to get OEM or OEM direct replacement studs and nuts. Don't know why that is.
4. can any verify if Maybe the exhaust studs are the same size?

Any other info and opinions are always welcome.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
01 Aug 2012 23:58 #540124 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Removing and Replacing a front fork stud
Pair of vise grips on non threaded part of stud,reinstall with blue lock tite B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 Aug 2012 00:04 #540126 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Removing and Replacing a front fork stud
If it was mine I would simply soak the old studs for 2 or 3 days with Kroil then remove them. I wouldn't be trying to replace them with exhaust studs or any other odd parts. I would just buy the correct fork studs and replace them. They are still available from Kawasaki so any dealer can order them for you. Ed

Attachment 00000_2012-08-01-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
02 Aug 2012 00:09 #540130 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removing and Replacing a front fork stud
Could first soak for a few days in a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone.

Heat with propane torch before attempting to remove the stud.

Thinking the fork studs are slightly longer than exhaust studs.

Would check with Z1 Enterprises for the fork studs.

Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc., and often includes sizes of various fasteners such as studs. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 Aug 2012 00:11 #540131 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Removing and Replacing a front fork stud
Getting the old one out with messing up the exposed threads won't matter. When your ready to put the new ones in, the double nut technique works great.
ACE Hardware, NAPA, etc will have studs in stock.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
02 Aug 2012 13:49 #540265 by Knowmad
Replied by Knowmad on topic Removing and Replacing a front fork stud
Patton, Is ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid?? Never heard of using that. Dave

More
02 Aug 2012 15:01 #540274 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removing and Replacing a front fork stud

Knowmad wrote: Patton, Is ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid?? Never heard of using that. Dave

Yes.

There was some testing reported in an earlier KZr thread which compared the penetration ability among several products such as PBBlaster, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, et al.

One "winner" in the competition was a 50-50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone, which was also the least expensive. And has been successfully used and reported by KZr members.

Could partially fill two cans with the mixture, and immerse stud end of the forks overnight or longer.

Heat with a propane torch immediately before attempting to twist loose should help release the thread grip in two ways. Any red loc-tite will loosen; and the aluminum female threads will expand more than the steel stud threads.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD