are police model forks wider?

More
12 Jun 2006 13:14 #53984 by timber
are police model forks wider? was created by timber
are the police model forks wider? and do they run a wider front tire? smaller front tire?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2006 13:25 #53986 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic are police model forks wider?
As far as I know, it's the same front end as the street KZs/LTDs - tubes and lower legs. Any differences would be in the triple trees, and while I won't swear on a stack of bibles just yet, I'm pretty sure they're the same as well.

A quick possibility is to check buykaw.com and check the triple tree part numbers for like-year cop/street models. That isn't a lock for the right answer, but it's a start...

www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp

They do look bulkier because of the rubber fork boots and on the "C" models, the aluminum light bar/windshield mount castings - but those are slip-overs.

Stock cop bikes used 18s' front & rear, streeters used 19' front and 16' rears...

More
12 Jun 2006 14:54 #53997 by timber
Replied by timber on topic are police model forks wider?
i thought they used a 18" or 16" i thought they looked wider also. i thought the older ones ran the same but the newer one ran a little wider. its a start. thanks

More
13 Jun 2006 08:29 #54187 by craigpuckett
Replied by craigpuckett on topic are police model forks wider?
the cop bike wheel is wider between the brake disks and the triple trees are wider too,the fork legs are the same size but you can't interchange wheels as the spacing is not right

I know this first hand as I have both a 95 cop bike and an 81 csr1000 with ltd wheels on it

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2006 18:46 #54339 by Pterosaur
craigpuckett wrote:

the cop bike wheel is wider between the brake disks and the triple trees are wider too,the fork legs are the same size but you can't interchange wheels as the spacing is not right

I know this first hand as I have both a 95 cop bike and an 81 csr1000 with ltd wheels on it

Just for grins, I measured the forks center-to-center this evening and came up with 8-3/8" between the lower legs just above the fender on my 78.

I compared the '78 Cop with the '78 LTD 1000 triple tree part numbers and diagrams, and they are indeed different.

More
31 Mar 2007 09:40 #125166 by RV
Replied by RV on topic are police model forks wider?
fork-tube spacing is difinitely wider; front wheels are 18's, using a 110/90/18 tire.

• wireman
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2007 10:38 #125183 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic are police model forks wider?
who wants to sell a set of cop bike triple trees they want to sell cheap?:whistle: :P

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2007 11:02 #125192 by Pterosaur
wireman wrote:

who wants to sell a set of cop bike triple trees they want to sell cheap?:whistle: :P

Wouldn't have a clue about cop trees for sale...

;) :ohmy: :unsure: :dry: :laugh: :woohoo:

...but I do happen to know where there's a set of KZ trees (and forks and swingarm and....) that's been treated like an Italian Army rifle - never used and only dropped once... :P
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2007 11:09 #125193 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic are police model forks wider?
i want to run an 18" wire front wheel with a 120-130 front wheel but cant do it with a stock width front end.ive already got all the shiny stuff but i need wider triple trees and ill have to widen an ltd fender and replate it.:evil: