will 13'' shocks be ok?

More
31 Jul 2012 09:36 #539700 by richrand
will 13'' shocks be ok? was created by richrand
I recently bought a pair of used but great condition Progressive 12-series. The PO said they were on his 79 Kz1000 Ltd. But when i got them, they measured 13'' eye to eye, not the the 13.5'' that is stock. Do you think this will pose any problems or issues? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2012 13:33 - 31 Jul 2012 23:53 #539748 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic will 13'' shocks be ok?

richrand wrote: I recently bought a pair of used but great condition Progressive 12-series. The PO said they were on his 79 Kz1000 Ltd. But when i got them, they measured 13'' eye to eye, not the the 13.5'' that is stock. Do you think this will pose any problems or issues? Thanks.

Hopefully, shock travel will bottom out before the tire contacts any hard parts such as underside of fender.

Various brands of shocks have different suspension travel.

To test whether shock travel bottoms out in time, may install just one shock (for easier full compression) and fully depress the rear suspension.

If the shock travel bottoms against a bumper -- as opposed to spring coil bind -- the test may be performed without the spring installed.

Another test would be going for a test ride with a passenger -- preferably a fat passenger -- with the shocks set at minimum preload, to see whether the rear tire hits underside of fender.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 31 Jul 2012 23:53 by Patton.

More
31 Jul 2012 22:46 #539872 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic will 13'' shocks be ok?
I'll go rich:lol:

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
01 Aug 2012 10:07 #539959 by richrand
Replied by richrand on topic will 13'' shocks be ok?
Thanks Patton. I put them on yesterday to check them out. They were lower than i felt comfortable with. More of a problem however was that they were too wide toward the base (the spring seats nearly to the lower eye) and the right shock made contact with the brake stabilizer arm. No good.

Haha. Next time, Tom.