Swingarm question extend or not

More
30 Jul 2012 01:17 #539505 by sled
Swingarm question extend or not was created by sled
Hi Guys

I bought a kz900 about 6 months ago and am doing some slight mods.

I am in discussion with a swingarm maker Metmachex who will make the arm, I am wanting to retain the wire wheels however use new rims arounf 4" and a 160 tyre, oh and drum rear. They will basically build whatever is needed so my question is do extend a little or not??? what are the benfits here??? is any i was thinking only 1 - 2" I like the look when people use the lowering swingarm kit on old school swingarms.

Anyway interested to here your thoughts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2012 06:52 #539521 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Swingarm question extend or not
Benefits with a longer swingarm? Unless you have trouble keeping the front wheel down under acceleration, there are still a few. A longer swingarm changes angle less as the wheel runs through its suspension stroke, so chain adjustment varies less. At the same time, the wheelbase change less as the wheel moves up/down with a longer swingarm.

A longer swingarm will increase stability but also make the bike heavier to steer. And you will need more lean for the same cornering speed. The wider 160mm wide rear tyre you plan to use will also require more lean for the same speed.

If you could shorten the front of the bike the same amount as you lengthen the swingarm, it would be only benefits to have the longer swingarm. Since that isn't very practical, I would personally not lengthen the swingarm by much. But considering the limited stability of the chassis, along with the wider tyre itself transferring more negative energy into the chassis over bumpy terrain, it probably wouldn't hurt to lengthen the arm 1-2 inches. But you also need to consider how it will make your bike look, that a much longer swingarm will require you to move or eliminate the rear fender.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
30 Jul 2012 12:42 #539554 by gpz1170
Replied by gpz1170 on topic Swingarm question extend or not
If you can find a swing off a 750 H2, it is identical to the 900 with drum brake, but 2 inches longer. I believe everything bolts right on. We did allot of them back then. Looks stock.

don

1974 Z1
1976 KZ900
1978 KZ1000
1981 KZ1000
1983 GPZ1100