I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas..

More
27 Jul 2012 22:48 #539130 by NakedFun
OK, so I am mocking up my ZRX suspension on my KZ900 project, and I got the updated roller taper bearings from "All Balls Racing" instead of the individual balls/races like the originals. I press in the races into the stem tube and only then, realize that top race has no real overhang nor does the tube have any notches that would allow a drift from the other side to knock it back out.... Has anyone else noticed this? I had to put them in for chassis mock up, but was planning on taking them back out so I can have the chassis powder coated. Anyone figured out how to get these out again? If I can't, may have to order a replacement bearing or just painting the chassis once all the mods are done....

Thoughts?
Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2012 22:57 #539133 by 650ed
If they are like mine I think taking them out in one piece is not an option; they would probably need to be cut to get them out. Unlike the loose ball races, the ID of the tapered roller race is the same or even a little smaller than the ID of the neck. Here's a pic of the ones on my KZ650-C1 when I installed them in case someone can provide a solution. I suspect yours look similar. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 Jul 2012 23:54 #539143 by wireman
When they get to the point that they need to be replaced you can just run a bead of weld on the bearing surface of the race and wait for them to cool,theyll fall out. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2012 00:01 #539147 by 4TheKZ1000
I powder coated with mine in. No problem here...just need to tell coater to stay out of there. got 20,000 miles on mine and works like new.

More
28 Jul 2012 00:19 #539158 by NakedFun
Yep that is what it looks like...mostly worried about brinnling of the bearing race material due to the 400 degree baking temps. I know how I can get it out, but will ruin the race... We'll see how it plays out I guess!

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Jul 2012 00:22 #539160 by wireman
Yeah thats really hard steel,I dont think 400 degrees is enough to do physical damage to it.
Just make sure frame frame doesnt get hot enough for bottem race to fall out while baking. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
28 Jul 2012 02:18 #539180 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas..

650ed wrote: If they are like mine I think taking them out in one piece is not an option; they would probably need to be cut to get them out. Unlike the loose ball races, the ID of the tapered roller race is the same or even a little smaller than the ID of the neck. Here's a pic of the ones on my KZ650-C1 when I installed them in case someone can provide a solution. I suspect yours look similar. Ed

Reminds me.... my .44 magnum needs cleaning. :laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin