Which Chain?

More
12 Jul 2012 19:35 #535490 by tbaumga2
Which Chain? was created by tbaumga2
I've tried searching the forums w/o any luck

Can anyone tell me what size/type chain I'd need for an 81 Gpz 550, or at least where I can find this information. Motorcycle Superstore and others just list chains as "universal" which isn't helping. Also, my local shop refused to tell me which size I needed unless I committed to letting them install it for me :huh:

Another wrench in the works -- the body/chassis of the bike is an 81, but the motor is an 84. Will the chain size be the same for both years?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 23:53 #535553 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Which Chain?
Would check with
www.z1enterprises.com/

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Jul 2012 10:08 #535623 by tbaumga2
Replied by tbaumga2 on topic Which Chain?
I tried that, it looks like the site is down tho -- keep getting "an error occurred, contact system admin" message when I click on parts or brands

More
13 Jul 2012 10:32 #535628 by osage
Replied by osage on topic Which Chain?
Yeap it's down. Try giving them a call. I was going to order sprockets and chain for my 82 yesterday but it was down then.
If your just looking to get the size it should be stamped on the side plate of the chain link. It least it's on my factory chain that way "630".
Is your chain shot? If so old sprockets will be hard on a new chain.

I'll be going to a 530 this time. Z1e has a page that explains the conversion for 630 to 530. Hope they get their server issue fixed soon.

1976 KZ750B1
1982 KZ750H3

More
13 Jul 2012 11:28 #535645 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Which Chain?
According to Kawasaki.com's part diagrams, your bike uses a 530x100 link chain when used with the stock 16F/38R sprocket set.

I use a RK 530XSO chain on my 1000 and really like it, fwiw.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
13 Jul 2012 15:30 #535687 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Which Chain?
Just call us to order.

The web site has been a pain in the butt this week - or should I say the support company we use for the site (and soon to be ex-support). They moved the web site to a new server on Monday and totally screwed it up. I don't know all the details, but somehow they overlayed license keys or something like that and have not been able to reactivate some of the software behind the site. We are hoping to have a web site up and running in the next 24 hours. It may not be the old site - we are scrambling to ready planned new web site - just 3-4 weeks before it was due to be ready - so it might be a little rough around the edges.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
The following user(s) said Thank You: osage

More
13 Jul 2012 15:57 #535695 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Which Chain?

Jeff.Saunders wrote: Just call us to order.

The web site has been a pain in the butt this week - or should I say the support company we use for the site (and soon to be ex-support). They moved the web site to a new server on Monday and totally screwed it up. I don't know all the details, but somehow they overlayed license keys or something like that and have not been able to reactivate some of the software behind the site. We are hoping to have a web site up and running in the next 24 hours. It may not be the old site - we are scrambling to ready planned new web site - just 3-4 weeks before it was due to be ready - so it might be a little rough around the edges.

Your web site provider sounds like they are a bit shoddy Jeff. Sorry you are having the troubles. I have done a lot of server migrations, which includes our software, their users, their database and third party software. Should be almost seamless to the users. We always hand over the new server to to the customer for testing while the old server is still operational. This way, they can try testing it (albeit not under load) before making the switch. Of course the customer is not a good tester, so they usually forget to test printers and so forth. But my point is, they really messed up. They should not have put you in a position like this that can cost you money. How can they have run into licensing issue unless there was zero real time testing done? I have gotten errors when navigating your site before. So the software was buggy anyhow. Just learned how to recover when it did happen without losing too much time or to call up instead. Hope the new software works out for you. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
16 Jul 2012 00:04 #536238 by tbaumga2
Replied by tbaumga2 on topic Which Chain?
alright thanks! I'll give z1 a call