tubeless tire with tube?

More
08 Jul 2012 03:16 #534601 by gixxerfiend
tubeless tire with tube? was created by gixxerfiend
I have mag wheels that have rim\wheel locks. The guy I bought the bike off threw in a half life rear tire 4.00 h18 since the the one on the bike 130\80\18 was about done. cleaned it out with soap water and a rag and hosed it off to check for gashes, nails, etc. Took it to the shop today to get mounted and decided on getting a new tube since I didnt know how old the old tube was. Also asked the shop to inspect the rim locks and replace if necessary, they said the old ones were good. put the rim back on the bike and took off for about a 30 mile ride up to my dads house. 30 mins after I arrive I happen to be outside near the bike and all the sudden its starts hissing and loses all the pressure in about 20 seconds, thank god I wasnt going down the road when it happened. Im trying to figure out what could have caused this.

The old tire and the newer are both tubeless tires. I know from reading on here that the tubeless rims have the ridges and not to run without a tube, but will putting a tube inside a tubeless tire on a tube tire rim do something like this? I did take a corner kinda sharp on the way over there and it seemed like the tire slipped a bit but didnt seem like it was fast enough to lose traction, was kinda weird? thx for any input

2006 GSXR 1000
2005 CBR 600rr
1977 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2012 04:03 #534604 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic tubeless tire with tube?
Tubeless tyres work fine with tubes. Something else cause the puncture. Either you picked up a nail or something, or the tube was damaged under installation/not fitted correctly - or you have a sharp edge inside the rim that cut it. Removing tyres with screwdrivers can do that as they tend to damage the centre of the rim where the tube sits.

Also, just to make sure, check that the valve core is properly inserted in case they forgot.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
08 Jul 2012 08:49 - 08 Jul 2012 08:50 #534620 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic tubeless tire with tube?
Tubes work perfectly fine with tubeless tires. The folks that mounted yours may have pinched the tube with a tire iron. This is why I have always mounted my own tires. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 08 Jul 2012 08:50 by 650ed.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2012 09:54 #534627 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic tubeless tire with tube?
I have never had a prob....dont worry just ride and enjoy.

More
10 Jul 2012 00:41 #534977 by gixxerfiend
Replied by gixxerfiend on topic tubeless tire with tube?
so I took the wheel back to the dealership today. after about 30 minutes they rolled it back out saying it was a faulty tube. appartently they installed a cheap one the other day, don't remember the name but it had king on it and was in a yellow box? The parts manager said that he don't know why they dont take them off the shelf because he always heres about problems with that brand. But also said he has never heard of one leaking out air that fast and normally its a slow leak. they put a better quality tube for free and sent me on my way. Im going to make a few short trips before I venture too far on this bike. Not to mention im going to buy some rim guards and tire spoons and start changing all my own tires, sportbikes too. Its a shame that you cant even trust the dealership to put on quality stuff anymore especially things that could easily prove fatal to some poor sucka just to save a couple bucks.

2006 GSXR 1000
2005 CBR 600rr
1977 KZ 650