Front axle nuts

• STRATOCASTER
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jul 2012 14:37 #534516 by STRATOCASTER
Front axle nuts was created by STRATOCASTER
Hey guys...need help please. I have a 78 kz1000 A2. I see my axle nut has come loose and is allowing the spedo drive to be loose. Noticed the spedo needle bonuceing. When I got it back from having fork springs and seals and tapered bearings, it was taken off and put back on. I can see in pics that the axle should almost flush with the top of the nuts. One side of mine is a little past flush and the other side, the side with the spedo drive has come loose. Do I just tighten this back up or what.

Thanks Strat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2012 15:32 #534522 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Front axle nuts
Being the suspicious type, I'd recheck the whole front end.

First, I'd put the bike on the center stand

Loosen, but do not remove, upper triple clamp bolts,axle clamp bolts and the axle.

Check to be absolutely certain that the speedo driven gear housing is properly aligned

Check the lower triple clamp bolts for proper torque

Tighten upper triple clamp bolts to proper torque

Tighten axle to proper torque

Tighten axle clamp bolts in proper sequence to proper torque

Check steering stem bolts for proper adjustment

Ride

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
07 Jul 2012 16:07 #534527 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Front axle nuts
Mechanic's have been known to forget re-assembly steps, especially if the service mamger is "On their case" about something they did. Many years ago(more than I care to count), I took my bike in for fork seal replacement as one side was leaking, I was told the bike was ready, but before I paid for the repair, I did an inspection, and I'm glad I did.

The front axle clamp bolts were finger tight, the replaced fork seal tube was scarred from slipping in a shop vise,and other bolts were not tight holding the front end together.

I got the service manager, and showed his my inspection. He was not happy, and told me the mechanic would not get paid for this job, and for me to come back the next day, as they had to order me a new fork tube to replace the scarred one. When I went back, everything was as it should be,no leaks,and all related hardware was tight.

I never saw that mechanic at that shop again, even though I still went there for service....

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: STRATOCASTER

More
07 Jul 2012 17:59 #534543 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Front axle nuts
I'm not sure I completely understand how an axle loose can cause a speedo problem??? But if I understand what you are saying you mean the axle itself is not centered on the front wheel, as in one side out more on the big nuts? This doesn't hurt anything or indicate the axle is loose, just means they didn't bother to center the axle when it was installed. All there is to
it is two nuts and the axle, if it's not centered on the nuts, loosen the nuts, thread the axle onto the nuts till centered then retighten.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: STRATOCASTER