Forks not holding air

• JohnnyBusiness
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jul 2012 16:21 #533634 by JohnnyBusiness
Forks not holding air was created by JohnnyBusiness
So i recently purchased an 82 KZ650 CSR, the forks had no air in them. So my brother filled them and two days later the right fork was empty of all air. There is no sign of oil leaking, so it made me not think it was the seals. But could it still be the seals? Could the valve be bad? I dont know where to begincuz im pretty new when it comes to working with motorcycles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Jul 2012 16:38 #533637 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Forks not holding air
Check the valve cores where you put air in,any hoses connecting forks B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
03 Jul 2012 16:39 #533638 by osage
Replied by osage on topic Forks not holding air
Seals, O ring on tube cap or Schrader valves. Mine don't hold air either but thats a cold weather project for me. You could air up (psi's unknown don't over do it). :laugh: little spit on schrader would show leak. Soapy water easier to check larger area.

1976 KZ750B1
1982 KZ750H3

• JohnnyBusiness
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jul 2012 23:09 #534755 by JohnnyBusiness
Replied by JohnnyBusiness on topic Forks not holding air
I put some air in them, and sprayed some soapy water around the valves, but i didn't see any bubbles or anything.

More
09 Jul 2012 00:05 #534764 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Forks not holding air
Have you changed (or at least checked) the fork oil? Maybe one leg has been drained by the PO and not refilled so no oil leak would show. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Jul 2012 07:36 #534790 by kopcicle
Replied by kopcicle on topic Forks not holding air
You can call this the voice of experience or opinion , just take it for what it's worth .
Air assisted forks suck . I mean literally suck the air right out of them even when new .
Air may be the "perfect spring" but if you can't seal the fork it's just as useless as Yamaha anti dive .
Just do the math . You have (for example) a 35mm fork tube x 3.14 = 110 ish mm x 150 mm travel = 16,500 sq cm or area that has to seal while the seal is sliding on the tube . Not going to happen .
If your forks need more spring due to age either mechanically preload them or get newer/better/progressively-wound springs .
Normal adjustment for air forks is to get the bike on the center stand , get the front wheel off the ground and let the air IN by depressing the schraeder valve .
Air assisted forks suck . 30 year old air assisted forks suck dawg bawlz .

YMMV

~kop

"There are two major pressure changes in a four stroke internal combustion engine , when you light the fire and when the rods exit the block..."

More
09 Jul 2012 07:48 #534793 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Forks not holding air

kopcicle wrote: You can call this the voice of experience or opinion , just take it for what it's worth .
Air assisted forks suck . I mean literally suck the air right out of them even when new .
Air may be the "perfect spring" but if you can't seal the fork it's just as useless as Yamaha anti dive .
Just do the math . You have (for example) a 35mm fork tube x 3.14 = 110 ish mm x 150 mm travel = 16,500 sq cm or area that has to seal while the seal is sliding on the tube . Not going to happen .
If your forks need more spring due to age either mechanically preload them or get newer/better/progressively-wound springs .
Normal adjustment for air forks is to get the bike on the center stand , get the front wheel off the ground and let the air IN by depressing the schraeder valve .
Air assisted forks suck . 30 year old air assisted forks suck dawg bawlz .

YMMV

~kop

x2 A new set of springs will yield far better ride quality

Larry C.

More
09 Jul 2012 09:23 #534805 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Forks not holding air
I'm not trying to defend air forks; my bike doesn't have them so I have no first hand experience. But I do have a question about them. My understanding is that they still use fork oil, and that oil rises inside the upper (inner) fork tube. The air that is added is above that fork oil, so the air itself is never in contact with the fork seals, instead it applies pressure to the fork oil which in turn may be in contact with the fork seals. So the air is trapped between the top of the fork oil and the fork cap. In order for the air to leak out it would need to leak from the top of the upper (inner) fork tube either through the valve or by squeezing past the threads on the valve or fork cap. The only other way it could leak out would be if it pushed the fork oil out past the seals or the drain screw or fork cylinder bolt. So if the schraeder valve and fork cap are properly sealed wouldn't he see fork oil leaking out if the air is leaking past the fork seals? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Jul 2012 09:40 - 09 Jul 2012 11:54 #534807 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Forks not holding air

osage wrote: Seals, O ring on tube cap or Schrader valves. Mine don't hold air either but thats a cold weather project for me. You could air up (psi's unknown don't over do it). :laugh: little spit on schrader would show leak. Soapy water easier to check larger area.

Yes, would inspect the "O ring on tube cap" and replace if necessary.

Before removing the cap, be sure the bike's front end is supported so as not to collapse when the cap is removed, and remember to loosen the top fork tube clamp before trying to unscrew the cap.

Might be difficult to see bubbles in the soapy water test where the suspected leak area isn't submerged.

Another option would be to run without any air pressure inside the forks. And if the suspension is then too soft, replace the fork oil with a heavier weight.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 11:54 by Patton.

More
09 Jul 2012 11:09 - 22 Jan 2013 20:47 #534815 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Forks not holding air
pm sent
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 20:47 by martin_csr.