Forked for now

• centralnebraskaguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jun 2012 15:53 - 29 Jun 2012 15:54 #532635 by centralnebraskaguy
Forked for now was created by centralnebraskaguy
Venting my frustrations online because my co-workers are sick of hearing it :)

A week after my mechanic friend at the Kaw shop aired up the forks, the front end feels soft again to me on my 82 KZ440. Ran over to the auto parts store to get a nice digital gauge at lunch and the left fork is at 0psi, the right at 3psi. They were both filled to 7 a week ago. Borrowing a hand pump to take them back up to 7 tonight and see how fast the leak is.

Waiting for my Clymer's manual now, no idea how in-depth it will be on fork maintenance. Regardless, I've never torn a set of forks apart and wouldn't know where to start. I am eager to learn, just not sure I'm comfortable with front end work yet.

I'm not against the idea of new seals and possibly progressive springs. Just wondering how much $$ I will need for the project. The shop right now has 95 bikes in line for repairs so he doesn't even have time to talk at the moment.

Till then, I guess it's back to trying to shine up old aluminum, hehe.

Can anyone give me an idea of how skill/labor intensive the job would be?

Thanks,

Brian

1982 KZ 440 LTD
Last edit: 29 Jun 2012 15:54 by centralnebraskaguy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 Jun 2012 03:58 #532743 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Forked for now
Get the manual,what part of nebraska are ya in? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
30 Jun 2012 04:09 #532745 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Forked for now
If you have not done so yet check out the following, IIRC you can download manuals for the 400/440 models there. There is also a bunch of great info on the site about the bikes.

www.kz400.com/index.html

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Jun 2012 11:33 #532775 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Forked for now
Get a Manual, the Factory Manual is much better than the Clymers.
Here is the parts breakdown, the fork seals #92049 are held in by the retaining clip #92022, which is hidden when you look at it by the dust seal, #92093. The seals can be changed easily with out Fork disassembly, but the fork leg must be removed from the triple clamps. There are tools sold for driving the seal back in place, but a piece of PVC pipe works good, Lowes/ Home Depot, seals are like $15. You can Drain and refill the oil, easily also. There is specs for the oil viscosity and how much to re-fill. The best way is a oil level measurement, distance from the top of the tube. This is usually with the spring removed and the fork tube collapsed. If you want to do the oil change, loosen the top cap before removing from the triples, or do it when they are in place to hold them.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
01 Jul 2012 09:59 - 22 Jan 2013 20:31 #533012 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Forked for now
Be sure to check the fork air w the front wheel off the garage floor. Also, use a low pressure gauge, not a typical tire gauge.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 20:31 by martin_csr.

• centralnebraskaguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jul 2012 12:09 #533333 by centralnebraskaguy
Replied by centralnebraskaguy on topic Forked for now
Thanks for the replies.

Wireman - GI

gd4 - You're right, I had grabbed the service manual there previously

Motor Head - I had downloaded the service manual but I'm shaky on the instructions I see there. Appreciate the tips and part numbers. Still trying to wrap my head around how the cap at the top is put together and that clip that everyone complains about.

martin - I think you're right. It's probably not what most would consider a difficult job, but having never done it before, I do find it intimidating the first time. I really want to do it myself but...

My next plan is to put bit of air in (again, with the proper pump) and try to soap bubble it to see where the air is leaking. Would be nice if it was something as simple as the valve core in the schrader valve but I doubt I'm that lucky, hehe.

Again, THANKS TO ALL. You guys are a great help.

1982 KZ 440 LTD

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Jul 2012 12:48 #533348 by wireman
Ride it to louisville and Ill help ya work on it! :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• centralnebraskaguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jul 2012 13:08 #533352 by centralnebraskaguy
I was just in Louisville for Warrior Dash! lol

Good times.

1982 KZ 440 LTD

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Jul 2012 13:27 #533354 by wireman
We have our moments! :woohoo:

• centralnebraskaguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jul 2012 16:02 #538265 by centralnebraskaguy
Still no progress on forks. Considering just adding some oil to see if the seals are shot. The way they feel, there's no fluid exchange going on at all and I suspect they've been empty for quite awhile. Only concerned about leaking oil onto the brake, but will just watch diligently I suppose.

Really want to replace the seals, but my friend keeps reminding me 'how much money do you want to put into this bike?'. He's right, I know, and I'm already itching for something bigger. I'd like to do the seals both for a better ride now and the experience of learning how, but don't like spending money unnecessarily either.

Just venting, sitting at work, trying to get a list together of parts I'd need to estimate cost.

1982 KZ 440 LTD

• wireman
  • User
More
24 Jul 2012 16:13 #538269 by wireman
Well if you pull the forks off and order the seals from z1enterprises I can meet you on your side of lincoln and pick them up from you and have them rebuilt for you in a couple days as long as you buy the parts and mountain dew,or you could just fed ex them to me for same deal. B)

• mwriders
  • User
  • if I only had a brain
More
24 Jul 2012 16:20 #538272 by mwriders
Replied by mwriders on topic Forked for now
What 440 model came with air forks? Are they an aftermarket bit?

1980 Kawasaki KZ440B (brand new eBaby)
1998 Ducati 900S (gone)
1978 BMW R100S (gone, damn it)
1975 Yamaha RD350 cafe (gone)
1986 Yamaha XJ650 Seca (gone)
1981 Kawasaki KZ440LTD (gone)
1969 HD Sportster (gone :)
1966 Honda CB160 (gone, damn it)
1965 Suzuki 80