Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

master cylinder interchange 09 Jun 2006 15:00 #53236

• vwbuge
  • vwbuge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Can I run an early front brake master cylinder from a dual disc setup on a later single disc setup?

Thanks,
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

master cylinder interchange 09 Jun 2006 18:46 #53268

• wireman
  • Visitor
what kind of bike?:whistle:

master cylinder interchange 09 Jun 2006 19:44 #53283

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
wireman wrote:

what kind of bike?:whistle:

See my sig :)
KD9JUR

master cylinder interchange 09 Jun 2006 20:27 #53296

• Unhinged
  • User
A twin disc setup has a large capacity and wont be a problem operating on one disc, the only thing to avoid is going the other way... a single disc master cylinder doesnt have the capacity to operate two calipers effectively.
I used to run an xj 750 Secca [twin disc] with a single disc wheel from an xs 250 without a problem.

master cylinder interchange 09 Jun 2006 20:34 #53298

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Unhinged wrote:

a single disc master cylinder doesnt have the capacity to operate two calipers effectively.

Hey Steell, didnt we have a good thread going awhile back on how this WILL work. (you were explaining it to me)

heres what i was talking about : steell wrote:

1/2" master cylinder will give you a higher pressure and have a longer lever travel (faster stopping), a 5/8" master cylinder will push a larger volume of brake fuid than the 1/2" so it will have less lever travel and less pressure.
It's easier to lock the front brakes with a 1/2" cylinder than a 5/8" cylinder, some people have complained about the brakes being to touchy with the 1/2" on dual disks, while others have been happy with it. Either one works for me, but I'm a big guy with lots of hand strength :)

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/06/09 23:36
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

master cylinder interchange 09 Jun 2006 21:32 #53308

• Unhinged
  • User
Hey Steell, didnt we have a good thread going awhile back on how this WILL work. (you were explaining it to me)

I'm going on my own experience of being able to close the lever all the way to the grip without effective braking... if your happy with less braking efficiency then fine but id rather go with safety on single piston brakes, the modern multi-piston calipers give better braking because of the area of friction... the guy did ask about older brakes and id say it wouldn't be safe enough...

master cylinder interchange 10 Jun 2006 00:07 #53324

• steell
  • User
Unhinged wrote:

I'm going on my own experience of being able to close the lever all the way to the grip without effective braking... if your happy with less braking efficiency then fine but id rather go with safety on single piston brakes, the modern multi-piston calipers give better braking because of the area of friction... the guy did ask about older brakes and id say it wouldn't be safe enough...

That don't apply to all KZ's though :)
KZ650 single disk has a 1/2" master cylinder and the KZ650 dual disk has a 5/8" master cylinder, however the 78-79 KZ750 single disk has a 5/8" master cylinder, the exact same one that is used on some KZ650 and KZ1000 dual disk models.

Knowing the year and model of KZ being discussed is kinda important, otherwise it can be impossible to give an accurate answer.
KD9JUR

master cylinder interchange 10 Jun 2006 05:03 #53352

• vwbuge
  • vwbuge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Not trying to be a smart ass but don't you guys see my sig?

The other master cylinder is from and earlier KZ650 with dual front discs. My bike has single disc and no master cylinder.

master cylinder interchange 10 Jun 2006 08:45 #53387

• steell
  • User
vwbuge wrote:

Not trying to be a smart ass but don't you guys see my sig?

The other master cylinder is from and earlier KZ650 with dual front discs. My bike has single disc and no master cylinder.

Lot's of bikes in your sig, kinds helps to know which particular one you are talking about :)
The KZ650 dual disk master cylinder should say 5/8" on the bottom, and it will work with the single disk but have a little less lever travel and require a little more pressure on the lever.

Not all KZ single disk master cylinders are the same size, that's why we need to know the specific year and model :)
KD9JUR

• Page: