Can't tighten caliper nuts - Help!

More
23 Jun 2012 17:43 #531298 by KZ250LTD
Can't tighten caliper nuts - Help! was created by KZ250LTD
I took my KZ1000ST out for its first spring ride a few weeks ago and partway down the road the four nuts for the caliper bolts (that hold the calipers together, not onto the forks) all parted company. Fortunately made it home without any problems. I bought some nuts and tried to tighten it all up but on a few of the bolts even when I have the nuts tightened on as much as possible, there is still about 1/4 inch of movement side to side on the bolt (it is not tight to the body of the caliper). Anyone know why this is or how I would fix it? Don't want to ride at the moment in case my calipers split apart and I'm pretty sure that they weren't 'floating calipers' originally.

Tim

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2012 18:01 #531301 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Can't tighten caliper nuts - Help!
Are you sure that the new nuts are correct? Take a bolt out and make sure you can turn the nut by hand for the whole threaded area.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
23 Jun 2012 18:04 #531302 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Can't tighten caliper nuts - Help!
I took another look at my parts diagram and I see I'm actually missing some spacers that are supposed to go behind the nuts (must also have parted company at 75mph) so I'll have to throw some washers in there. Thanks though Faffi, I did think maybe the outer diameter of the nuts was wrong (the thread pitch is correct) so I tried 3 or 4 different sizes with the same result.

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.