Can throttle push cable be used instead of pull?

More
23 Jun 2012 02:37 #531170 by Bunty27
I ordered both the push and pull throttle cables from a local store and I realized now that they gave me two push cables instead. I know the actual cables are different in the length of the metal tubing at the top but they do look the same otherwise. So I was wondering if I could use the push cable in place of the push cable?

Sorry for the newbie question. :)

1982 KZ550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2012 02:47 #531171 by Sellitto42kz
Replied by Sellitto42kz on topic Can throttle push cable be used instead of pull?
Def, I was 30 miles out an had my pull break one time- swapped the push over lucky i had a screwdriver.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Jun 2012 03:12 #531172 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Can throttle push cable be used instead of pull?
x2

it'll work just gotta mess with the housing and swap em...imo

go with just the pull imo...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
23 Jun 2012 08:00 - 23 Jun 2012 08:06 #531184 by Patton
The curved ends for push and pull may slightly differ in order to prevent interference with each other while being screwed into the throttle housing.

Where push is fitted first, then pull has sufficient clearance to be fitted. And vice-versa.

With identical curved ends, when push is already screwed into the housing, pull may not have sufficient clearance to screw in without hitting push. And vice-versa.

Absent potential interference with each other during installation, the curved ends on both push and pull could be identical, without any difference in the curved ends, and without any part number distinction. In which event actual fitment would itself determine which was pull and which was push. Same as if fitting cables without any curved ends.

In actual operation, both throttle cables are pull.
One pulls carbs open (against the return spring), and the other pulls carbs closed (with help of the return spring).
Neither pushes against the carbs' throttle pully.

A true push cable has a solid (not braided) wire inside the sheath, whereby push force may be applied.
Think common lawn mower throttle cable. And some may remember the Cushman motor-scooter throttle cable, a single cable that both pulls and pushes open a carb having no spring.

A rope pulls pretty well, but doesn't work when pushed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Jun 2012 08:06 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, Bunty27

More
26 Jun 2012 11:53 #531868 by Bunty27
Thank y'all for the advice. I'm happy to report that I was able to successfully use the same push throttle cables for both the push/pull slots. The adjustment of the throttles went fine and everything looks great.

1982 KZ550 LTD