• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
17 Jun 2012 08:05 #529804 by ed spangler
Tires was created by ed spangler
Greetings :)
Hoping to get some advice on Bias Ply Tires / Tubes.
Bought new tires for my '75 Z1-B 900 a while back, havn't ridden it much but complained to my friewnds that the front end seemed to bounce, tires are stock size Bias ply "Kenda Challenger" front and rear.
My Buddy who restores vintage bikes and is an excellent mechanic Noticed "Bounce" in the front end
after making some repairs and taking the bike for a test ride. So....we pulled the front tire /rim off ....removed the tire and put rim on his "Truing Stand".... Rim is new . spokes new stainless, someone else had laced it up for me but after checking rim with a dial indicator it was off less than .004!! Darn near perfect.
Static balancing indicated less than 1/2 oz. of weight needed.
Reinstalled the front tire ( Kenda Challenger_) noticed that the tire seemed "Out Of Round".
Test ride confirmed..... still had the problem.
So....here is my question, I want to buy a new front tire and tube, Bias Ply, want the tread pattern to be compatible with the almost new Kenda Challenger on the rear,( we removed and checked the rear , it was perfect.) So if I am on a budget and want to spend around $100-$125 dollars for a new bias ply front tire and around $15-$20 for a new tube...agaain want the tire to be "Compatible" with the new Kenda Rear,...Suggesstions anyone?
Thanks TennesseeZ ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2012 08:56 #529806 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Tires
how about another kenda then? do they still produce them?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
17 Jun 2012 10:32 #529818 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tires
That's a tough one. Trying to match up a non-Kenda with a Kenda is iffy at best, and I would not recommend buying another Kenda as you have already seen what their quality control program produces. If mine I would wait until I could set aside enough funds for both tires & tubes and buy a matched pair of Pirelli Sport Demons or other quality tires. The only problem is that it will take about $100 more than the $145 you currently have earmarked for the bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Jun 2012 13:26 #529862 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic Tires
CLICK
> Kenda Tire

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
17 Jun 2012 13:45 #529864 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Tires
Maybe consider a different Kenda, so it would be closer to your new rear. Maybe this one, in the proper size front. I've had 4500mi on mine, and have just ordered a new front tire. Not another Kenda this time, although I've had no issues with it. Just trying something else on the front, and rear.
www.kendatire.com/en/home/motorcycle/street/kruz.aspx

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

More
17 Jun 2012 18:41 #529934 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Tires
It may sound unbelievable, but I'm very impressed with the Cheng Shin fitted to my KZ650. Grips fine even in the wet and in the dry there's no insecurity from using all of the thread (no chicken strips).

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition