INSTALLING STEERING STEM ROLLER BEARINGS, NEED HEL

More
14 Jun 2012 18:16 #529138 by kzlaverda
Hello,
I am going to install tappered roller bearings on my 1978 KZ1000 and need info about how to do it properly. How much the races need to be set in the steering head and such...If anybody has pictures of the process that would help enormously (or a link to an existing post about it).
Thanks to all...
Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
14 Jun 2012 19:35 #529155 by wireman
I set them in till they stop.
Easiest/cheapest way I know to install them is with a piece of 3/4" all thread and a pvc pipe coupling with a 3/4" fender washer or 2 and a 3/4" nut on the bottem of steering head after starting races into head with the same setup on top of head.
Use it like a press by tightening the nuts on each end B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
14 Jun 2012 19:59 - 14 Jun 2012 20:01 #529163 by kzlaverda
Thanks for detailed info. That is the method I will use. How much do the races need to be driven into the steering head?
Last edit: 14 Jun 2012 20:01 by kzlaverda.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
14 Jun 2012 20:03 #529166 by wireman
Untill they bottem out,start them out by tapping around outside edge just enough to get them started in there square.
If you have access to a piece of steel strap around 3" across its good for banging against to get them started B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
15 Jun 2012 12:21 #529307 by kzlaverda
Ok, if I got this right, first I drive both top and bottom races into the steering head until they are seated in and flush with the top an bottom of the steering head? Than the bearings will fit right into the races or do I need to drive them in too? I am asking all this because it is my first time doing this.
Thanks
Vlad

More
15 Jun 2012 15:17 #529328 by NakedFun
So here is a quickie....

Outer races press in until they stop on the machined step inside the steering tube. Of course, the taper of the race faces out of the ends of the tube if you get what I am saying. Harbor freaight makes a nice bearing race driver kit that also does seals, that when used with "all thread' and nuts/washers makes a nice steering stem bearing tool kit.

Next, you want to make sure your lower bearing seal slides on to your steering stem until it is all the way on the bottom, orientated correctly of course. Now, you will take your lower roller bearing assembly, orientated where the taper of the bearing, matches the taper of the outer race in your steering tube (i.e., they slide together and mate nicely,....after some wine of course!). It should slide all the way down and stop where your steering stem flairs back out to about 30mm (KZ900/1000). Try to square it up on the shaft, then either using a press or the tool made up as described, press it all the way down by pressing on the inner race, as close to the shaft surface as possible until it stops. It will bottom out.

Now it should be ready to slide up into the steering stem, and the upper bearing should slide right on without any sort of pressing. Throw your top seal and stem nut and follow the service manual procedure for tightenting.

A little tip, thro your steering stem/bottom triple along with the outer races into the freezer next to the peas. Let them sit in there while you drink a beer. While holding the beer in one hand, use a hari dryer on hi and heat the lower bearing. This will help expand the bearing and contract the stem/races and help them slide together easier.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 Jun 2012 15:38 #529335 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic INSTALLING STEERING STEM ROLLER BEARINGS, NEED HEL
And Grease both bearings before final assembly, Then grease again , Check for proper tightness and feel

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Jun 2012 15:46 #529336 by Motor Head

kzlaverda wrote: Ok, if I got this right, first I drive both top and bottom races into the steering head until they are seated in and flush with the top an bottom of the steering head? Than the bearings will fit right into the races or do I need to drive them in too? I am asking all this because it is my first time doing this.
Thanks
Vlad

Don't need to drive the bearing itself, just those upper and lower bearing races. Using an old race inverted against the new one will work to drive them in till seated. The roller bearings should never be impacted against the race, it will dent the race, and ruin the the bearing. Getting a good temp difference between the stem and bearing will allow it to slide on, as suggested. Maybe a piece of correct Dia pipe to seat it down on the stem, make sure it only touches the inner race of the roller bearing, don't apply force to the rollers or the cage that hold them.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Oct 2012 19:49 #552284 by kzlaverda

NakedFun wrote: So here is a quickie....

Outer races press in until they stop on the machined step inside the steering tube. Of course, the taper of the race faces out of the ends of the tube if you get what I am saying. Harbor freaight makes a nice bearing race driver kit that also does seals, that when used with "all thread' and nuts/washers makes a nice steering stem bearing tool kit.

Next, you want to make sure your lower bearing seal slides on to your steering stem until it is all the way on the bottom, orientated correctly of course. Now, you will take your lower roller bearing assembly, orientated where the taper of the bearing, matches the taper of the outer race in your steering tube (i.e., they slide together and mate nicely,....after some wine of course!). It should slide all the way down and stop where your steering stem flairs back out to about 30mm (KZ900/1000). Try to square it up on the shaft, then either using a press or the tool made up as described, press it all the way down by pressing on the inner race, as close to the shaft surface as possible until it stops. It will bottom out.

Now it should be ready to slide up into the steering stem, and the upper bearing should slide right on without any sort of pressing. Throw your top seal and stem nut and follow the service manual procedure for tightenting.

A little tip, thro your steering stem/bottom triple along with the outer races into the freezer next to the peas. Let them sit in there while you drink a beer. While holding the beer in one hand, use a hari dryer on hi and heat the lower bearing. This will help expand the bearing and contract the stem/races and help them slide together easier.

Cory

Can you tell me what parts go on top of the top bearing once the steering stem is installed ? What I mean is do I need to install all the same parts (washers and caps) as with ball bearings? Thanks
Vlad

More
04 Oct 2012 15:06 #552442 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic INSTALLING STEERING STEM ROLLER BEARINGS, NEED HEL
yes.
unless,
something is obviously out of whack.
then take pics and post them and we can get you lined out.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0