Bolt on Fork Brace for the K1-K2 LTD

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Jun 2012 11:08 - 10 Jun 2012 22:11 #527940 by Motor Head
Bolt on Fork Brace for the K1-K2 LTD was created by Motor Head
Bought this for brace from Fast From the Past, and it bolts right up in about 2 min with no issues.
Here is a page with all the dimensions: pmiusa.net/FFTP/fork%20brace%20dimensions.pdf

No ride yet, as I;m doing more this weekend to both the Kawasaki's. But just putting the front tire between my knees and grabbing the bars, there is 0 flex. It used to be a bunch of flex.
I had also braced the swing arm with some round stock, in a Truss design a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the swing arm pivot bearings. Did that one night after work, but didn't have the camera around. But I'll try to get some pictures of it with it back on the bike, and the Fork Brace and add them here maybe tonight. I really liked the swing arm bracing, it made the bike handle a lot better, really stable from the rear now over bumps, even in the curves with the Vetter bags on. Tested it a couple weeks ago on Memorial Day weekend, rode over to the coast with a load on. Can't wait for another big ride to test the Fork Brace as well, maybe next week, but I'll ride it around a bit to see what it feels like around here.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jun 2012 22:11 by Motor Head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kimsmith4807, The_Raven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2012 17:29 #528004 by 750steve
Replied by 750steve on topic Bolt on Fork Brace for the K1-K2 LTD
Bought 1 of those myself & it fitted great. Likewise though i havent ridden it yet but i needed some kinda bracing as im not using a front fender. God knows how long that'll last in the UK climate though! :blink:

07 ZX6R Race Bike
1977 Z750 B2 Twin
1976 Z650 B1

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2012 22:30 #528050 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Bolt on Fork Brace for the K1-K2 LTD
750 Steve, I'm thinking that you will find the fork brace wonderful. It should be much stiffer than just the factory fender. Weren't you also fitting a different swing arm? I braced mine, but I can't get a decent picture with it installed, as you can't see any bracing from a normal view. it still looks stock from a casual view.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jun 2012 00:53 - 29 Jun 2012 21:33 #532523 by Motor Head
Also just received a set of progressive front fork springs, and I got a fresh set of bushings, if they fit. Thats tomorrow after paying the Oregon DMV there share of my paycheck. Got to get all the stuff transferred' from Colorado to Oregon, KZ first as it runs out this month!!!!!
Hopefully looks like a ride on Saturday, but it could be Dirt Bikes. The Fourth of July is on though, a couple hundred mile ride through the countryside then BBQ some steaks!!!

Popped in the Progressive springs and went for a ride of about 50mi. There is a change, but not what I was hoping. I could set it up with less spring pre-load than what I had with the stock springs. It dives less under hard braking, and seems a bit softer on the initial bumps. So I think its more in the dampening, I've tried a few different fork oil weights, and settled on 15w. so I just popped for some emulators from RT, but from the powersportssuperstore.com, way cheaper. I'll get them and give that a try, its got to be an Improvement, everything else has been.

Last edit: 29 Jun 2012 21:33 by Motor Head.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jun 2013 00:24 #591377 by Motor Head
Thought I'd add a bit to this thread.
On the Race Tech Gold Emulator Valves. They came with a Set up, that's a Yellow Spring and quite a few turns of pre-load. In the instructions it says the supplied Blue springs work best on the older bikes like ours. But I threw them in as packaged and rode them for a few thousand miles on different rides. Today I swapped in the Blue Springs, and that is what I would suggest to any of you who buys a set. I was riding and thinking, where is my front tire? Can't feel any bumps at all! Then one bigger one, and oh its still there. I mean it is a huge difference in just changing the springs. I still run 15w fork oil, as always. Got a spacer made from PVC for spring pre-load on the progressive springs. The more I do to this bike the better I like it. Looking forward to the summer season. End of the month its another trip from Bend Oregon to Athena Oregon for Hodaka Days. Rode the Concours last year because of the huge 7.3 gallon tank. I don't know if I can ride the KZ as my buds will hate stopping for gas every 140mi.

More
10 Jun 2013 14:59 #591629 by The_Raven
Replied by The_Raven on topic Bolt on Fork Brace for the K1-K2 LTD
Thanks so much for the info! I've got the Progressive fork springs being installed now, do you know what the specs and part numbers were for the emulators that you got from powersportsuperstore? Between those and the fork brace you recommended and some modern tires, I might actually survive taking a corner on this sucka! :woohoo:

Thanks again...

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

Widowmaker, 1982 KZ1000J2 @1100cc
Red Scare, 1994 Honda VF750C Magna
I intend to die from living.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2013 21:22 #591667 by Motor Head
Sure I'll post it for you.
www.powersportsuperstore.com/Race-Tech-C...Emulat-p/4058233.htm
These fit a lot of the Harley models, I think that's why they were set up with the heavier springs. Such a small and simple part, but what a freaking difference over the dampening rod factory set up.
Don't forget to replace your steering head bearings, have a close look at the swingarm pivot bearings also. I replaced all of the above. Also under braced the swingarm while it was off. Tried the Progressive rear shocks, with a couple of spring rates and while they were decent enough, I ended up switching to a set of FOX Racing Shocks. They are 14" instead of the 13.5" eye to eye, which made it a bit easier to get on the center stand when the Vetter Bags are packed on. :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: The_Raven

More
12 Jun 2013 20:28 #592007 by kimsmith4807
Replied by kimsmith4807 on topic Bolt on Fork Brace for the K1-K2 LTD
Very cool. Never found any fork brace specific for my K1 but the measurements work out. Appreciate the feedback.

1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2013 21:39 #592022 by Motor Head

kimsmith4807 wrote: Very cool. Never found any fork brace specific for my K1 but the measurements work out. Appreciate the feedback.

I found it through the measurements, then posted the findings.
It will be one of the best additions for your front end. ;)