Tube tire on mag wheel?

More
02 Jun 2012 01:08 #526382 by mike0537
Tube tire on mag wheel? was created by mike0537
So I got a new rear tire with my bike. It is a tube tire. Can I use this on my mag wheel? The tire that is on it is tubeless....Thanx!

1980 KZ750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2012 15:41 #526459 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tube tire on mag wheel?
It would be helpful if you added the year/model of your motorcycle to your signature. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Jun 2012 16:42 #526463 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tube tire on mag wheel?
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.
It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.
And may be changed whenever and as often as desired.
If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do. Here's how:

Attachment addsig.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
02 Jun 2012 17:05 - 02 Jun 2012 18:17 #526466 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tube tire on mag wheel?

mike0537 wrote: So I got a new rear tire with my bike. It is a tube tire. Can I use this on my mag wheel? The tire that is on it is tubeless....Thanx!

A tire that requires a tube may be used with a tube on a rim that's designed for tubeless tires.

Generally, any tire may be run with a tube.

Whether a tubeless tire -- without a tube -- may be safely used, depends on the rim design.

A tube style rim design doesn't have the "ridges" found in a tubeless rim design.

Attachment tubevtubelessrimtxt.JPG not found

Some "mag" wheels on motorcycles are designed without the ridges, and are supposed to have tubes fitted with the tires. Examples include the genuine Morris Mags on KZ900-B1 LTD.

Some riders run tubeless tires without tubes on the "mag" wheels designed without the ridges that are supposed to have tubes fitted with the tires. Boo on them, imo, but they adamantly proclaim having nary a problem. Which imo is due to the smiling face of Lady Luck and never hitting a large bump while leaned over in a curve at speed -- as that's where the tubeless tire -- without a tube -- on a non-ridged rim may escape the non-raised rim, resulting in an instant "flat."

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jun 2012 18:17 by Patton.

More
02 Jun 2012 18:53 #526473 by mike0537
Replied by mike0537 on topic Tube tire on mag wheel?
Thanx for the help Patton! BTW it is a 1980 KZ750 LTD. I added it to my signature for future use. Also I realized I should have gave some specifics after the fact.....

1980 KZ750E