Drum brake clunk?

More
27 May 2012 02:30 #525100 by Mullineaux
Drum brake clunk? was created by Mullineaux
So my bro in law rode with me on my first legal ride on real (non 25mph subdivision) roads since I got my permit a week and a half ago. His goal was to get me going over 50mph a few times so I could see what it feels like and get my confidence up. Well it worked! One thing I did notice is that over 40mph or so when I apply the rear drum brake there's a distinct clunk and you can feel it in the bike. Kind of like the feeling when you've hit 1st gear downshifting for a stop, only from the back of the bike. I doesn't happen a lower speeds, doesn't seem to effect the braking, and there's still plenty of space in the "usable" zone. I checked the service manual and it doesn't look like there's much in the braking mechanism that'd do that. I did some Internet searches but didn't turn up anything. It's not presently causing problems, just doesn't seem right. Any thoughts or suggestions?

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2012 02:44 #525101 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Drum brake clunk?
I'd remove the rear wheel & inspect the brake shoes as some of the Kawasaki's are experiancing glue failure due to age of the adhesive. One forum member here(Martin CSR?) had his rear wheel lock up, fortunately at low speed when his brake shoes jammed.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
27 May 2012 04:04 - 27 May 2012 04:05 #525107 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Drum brake clunk?
And would also assure the rear axle is properly aligned in the swing arm, adjusters are tight on both sides, and that the axle nut is tight.

And that the brake torque arm is tightened at both ends.

Also assure the shocks are undamaged and snug on their mounts.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 May 2012 04:05 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
27 May 2012 10:19 - 23 Feb 2013 16:11 #525125 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 16:11 by martin_csr.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 May 2012 11:32 #525149 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Drum brake clunk?
I wouldn't ride it again till you get it sorted out.
Also check the swing arm pivot bearings/ bushings and bolt. Something is wrong and the clunk, is a polite way of your bike saying I need some Luv.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
29 May 2012 14:09 #525667 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic Drum brake clunk?

Patton wrote: And would also assure the rear axle is properly aligned in the swing arm, adjusters are tight on both sides, and that the axle nut is tight.

And that the brake torque arm is tightened at both ends.

Also assure the shocks are undamaged and snug on their mounts.

Good Fortune! :)

Thanks all for the suggestions! Looks like Patton got it. Checking out the axle nut it looks like I didn't torque it down enough and it's slipping 1/16th-1/8th of an inch in its bracket. I think that may be the culprit. I'm hopefully having my new tires put on tomorrow so I'll pay special attention to that during reassembly. I'll also pull open the brake just to double check but I think I found the source.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser