TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road

More
13 Jun 2012 22:18 #528974 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
Not a stupid question at all! Much better to double check on something that important. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: gravit8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2012 23:11 - 13 Jun 2012 23:13 #528991 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
One thing I've noticed since my Shinko 712s were put on, my front end bounces a little from 30-40mph. I checked the tire run out and it doesn't look bad. The spokes were tightened by the shop but i don't think they trued it. The fork oil is 20+ years old so I should probably change that. The bounce isn't too bad, but you always want everything to be perfect.

And you're totally right about the look, much more modern. I like 'em.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser
Last edit: 13 Jun 2012 23:13 by Mullineaux.

More
14 Jun 2012 01:16 #529013 by 650ed
Be sure to check the air pressure, it might be too high if you're getting bounce.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
14 Jun 2012 01:49 #529018 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
i never thought this mattered much ...but learned(here on kzr 4 years back) i was wrong for years and riding around problems rather than spend money when tires(old-used-worn-or new but sliders) were the issue all the time ...but all tires are not the same...i will never buy anything but avon roadriders for a street kz now that i am used to em...and will replace em once a year just to have the softness of a new tire....i was wrong before...dead wrong

but ed is right about bounce imo...whatever the tire

always works...... change it around some too and it will respond

for me 34-36 front is a good start...36- 38 rear

32-36 is what i put friends bikes at ... whatever it is i like...2-4 more in back than in front

650ed wrote: Be sure to check the air pressure, it might be too high if you're getting bounce.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
14 Jun 2012 02:12 #529021 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road

650ed wrote: Since the inception of the internet I have bought my tires online from motorcycle tire or accessories dealers (not private parties or eBay). Prior to that I bought them from a Commercial Tire center (they would order them in for me at a good price) - never from a motorcycle dealer because of their crazy markup.

Yeah, the kids today don't know how good they have it with the internet. When I bought my KZ750 back in '79, the only sources for tires around here was the dealer or JC Whitney who only sold cheap tires like Cheng Shin and charged up the wazoo for shipping.

Around 1981, I read an ad in one of my bike magazines where Avon was selling their Roadrunner tires direct to customers and at a very good price. I bought three of them. When they arrived, I took one and the rear wheel to the dealer to get it mounted.... I swear this actually happened:

The guy at the dealer happened to be the manager, I handed him the tire and the wheel. He looked in the tire, and saw a piece of paper (I hadn't noticed it). It was the invoice from Avon. His face turned beet red and the veins in his forehead popped out as he yelled:

"I don't believe it! This is the same price I'm paying! They're not going to get away with this!"

What I didn't realize was the reason there were no "discount" places for name brand tires back then was because the dealers would boycott any brand that discounted, so it was a gouge fest at the dealer for tire prices. The magazine ad never appeared again for the Avon tires, I remember kicking myself for not buying more at the time I had the chance.

Of course now the dealers are getting squeezed to death by the internet sellers..... it's true what they say: Karma's a bitch.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: gravit8

More
14 Jun 2012 08:01 #529043 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
Ed, you're correct, it was the rear tyre. Doubt I'd be able to save a front end collapse.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
15 Jun 2012 10:31 - 15 Jun 2012 10:34 #529279 by kwaker
Replied by kwaker on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
I just put on a set of Avon Roadrider AM26 on my 1978 KZ (spoke wheels).

3.25V19 in the front and 4.0V18 on the rear.

I am still a little bit away from having the bike running so I don't have any personal first hand experience with this tire yet. But from what I have been told by a friend of mine is, who raced the CCS Southwest Vintage Champion Series, that these tires are the Bomb!

We'll see how the work hopefully soon.

1980 KZ 1000 LTD (daily driver)
1978 KZ1000 (project)

Scottsdale, AZ
Last edit: 15 Jun 2012 10:34 by kwaker.

More
17 Jun 2012 15:19 #529881 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
I wish Shinko made their 007 Hookup series for an 18" rim.
The drag race guy's swear by them.

I just put a set of GT501's on my 650F1 and like then
so far. Their the old K591 carcass with a more modern tread.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
18 Jun 2012 04:13 #530042 by gravit8
Replied by gravit8 on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
So I have to admit, when I took the new Shinko's out for a spin (~60 miles or so) I experienced a serious high-speed wobble. I have to assume it was above 80mph, as I was passing caged traffic on the interstate between IC/CR IA. This is a 70mph high-traffic corridor between two more active Iowa cities so I may have been hitting 90mph+ as I passed the cages.

Once I relaxed and hit the 'groove' of four-square wear it settled down a bit; still it was way more than I'd ever experienced with the old dunlops until I hit triple digits.

Certainly got me thinking; I'm not one to roll off the throttle outside of regular traffic/speed control but this got my attention.

Is this typical of new tires on the bigger bikes or what? Biggest I rode, with hours in the saddle before, was a 650 sport/crotch rocket. Aside from the usual body positioning, I never felt the wobble like this.

I'm going to adjust TP a few pounds lower once I get back on the road for the front, but...as always, advice is welcome from KZ1000/1100 riders. Not tryin to tank-slap at highway speeds after I spent 10 hours working on the bike aye?

I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

More
18 Jun 2012 04:23 #530044 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
Not normal. Things to check would be tyre/rim runout, air pressure (at least 36 PSI in the rear, can go as high as 42), wheel alignment, steering stem bearings and swingarm bearings.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
18 Jun 2012 04:35 #530045 by gravit8
Replied by gravit8 on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road

faffi wrote: Not normal. Things to check would be tyre/rim runout, air pressure (at least 36 PSI in the rear, can go as high as 42), wheel alignment, steering stem bearings and swingarm bearings.

Bike rode well on the old tires, I haven't changed anything on the steering stem or swingarm bearings aside from installing the rims, everything went back together without any issues AFAICT. Hoping it was just an over-inflated front. Seemed like the bike settled once I was in the usual left/right groove on the road, changing lanes and riding the center crest was what gave me the 'wobble'.

I'll update soon. Waiting for an accurate tire pressure gauge and some other stuffs

I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

More
18 Jun 2012 07:17 #530053 by 650ed
Not normal.