TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road

More
25 May 2012 12:58 #524731 by gravit8
Hey all, here's a discussion that's probably been had over and over again, but not very recently unless my forum search skills have failed (they have not).

I just put in an order for some tires via amazon.com:

Shinko 712 front and rear for my 83 KZ1100A3. Total cost: $104.98 from Motorcycle Superstore.

That's right, front and rears for $104. That's less than the cost of a single tire from the more well-known brands.

Reading the reviews on amazon for these tires, there are some comments about the quality and wear that indicate this tire/compound is fairly grippy but very long-lasting; however, when I asked the customer service rep (called to verify proper order/size) she said that the Shinko's were actually quite sporty with a fast wear rate (said specifically that the name-brand more-expensive rubber would wear at a ratio of 3-to-1, i.e. I'd go through 3 sets of the shinko's for 1 pair of xxx brand).

These are replacing a rock-hard set of Dunlop Harley-branded H-rated rubber from...I dunno, the turn of the century, I'm guessing (PO was a tech at Thunderbird Harley in Albuquerque). Since I've owned the bike I've made 2x 2,400 mile round trips from NM to IA plus a decent amount of around-town miles, including some spirited mountain/canyon carving, and the Dunlops have been great for all intents. Literally they've worn down into 'street slicks' so I've gotten just about every mile out of them - the tred pattern is completely gone except on the shoulders, eh heh.

So the conversation, in my mind, is 'If you get what you pay for, what did I just buy at half the price of the brand-name?' and 'outside of track or extreme riding conditions, is there really any difference between compounds, cost and brand?'.

What I'm looking for is real-world observations and an honest discussion about tires fitted specifically to bigger KZs. I'm not prone to burnouts or even dragging at the light (doesn't take much to beat the pants off anything in the next lane, without being an asshat), and this is my first tire purchase with an honest big bike that I ride cross-country, so it's a big deal for me on a budget. It's a pain in the ass to buy and fit new tires halfway through a 5,000 mile ride, and stressful.

SO, yeah...thoughts? Really crappy tire experiences? Great deals? Like/dislike Dunlop?

I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2012 13:03 #524732 by gravit8
Replied by gravit8 on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
not sure how this got posted under 'engine', mods feel free to move this thread to the appropriate category.

I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

More
25 May 2012 13:57 #524737 by gravit8
Replied by gravit8 on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
So I called around about mounting the new rubber, prices varied wildy ($76 and $90 f/r on bike, $52 EACH off bike at one place vs. $34 for the pair off bike, mounted and balanced) if I just bring in the rims and new rubber).

I called 3 shops and I'm going for the place that charges $34 for the pair. I'm just shocked the other place is charging $52 each. Just goes to show what shopping around a bit can save you (so, uhh, go ahead and post some thoughts/advice on tires guys. You know, save yourself some $$)

More
25 May 2012 14:08 - 25 May 2012 14:09 #524738 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
I'm interested as well. I just got a pair of Shinko 712's too. At this point I still have more experience working on my bike than riding it so I doubt I'll have any useful input for a while. I'm also replacing some vintage tires. My front tire is date coded May of '85 and my rear tire doesn't seem to have a date code. :blink: Stuff I've read said Shinko bought Yokohama. I just wanted something cheap that handled well and everyone seems to agree the Shinkos fit those requirements.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser
Last edit: 25 May 2012 14:09 by Mullineaux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gravit8

More
25 May 2012 15:27 #524744 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
I put a Dunlop K70 rear tire on my bike ('79 KZ750) shortly after buying it. It lasted about a year (5,000 miles). I like the tire and it's nicely priced so I replaced it with another (and a Dunlop K70 front) about 1000 miles ago.

It's hard to tell how long it's gonna last, but it seems to be wearing fairly quickly. I don't know, maybe 5,000 miles is a lot for a MC tire?

The K70s seem pretty soft to me but I don't know how the compound in the K70 compares to what's in your Dunlop Harley tires.

I don't want to put a new tire on every year and would like to ride more not less, so if these Dunlops wear out inside of a year, I'll be looking for another brand. Plus, around here it's hard to find a shop that'll mount tires they didn't sell you.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
25 May 2012 15:42 #524746 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road

gravit8 wrote: So I called around about mounting the new rubber, prices varied wildy ($76 and $90 f/r on bike, $52 EACH off bike at one place vs. $34 for the pair off bike, mounted and balanced) if I just bring in the rims and new rubber).

I called 3 shops and I'm going for the place that charges $34 for the pair. I'm just shocked the other place is charging $52 each. Just goes to show what shopping around a bit can save you (so, uhh, go ahead and post some thoughts/advice on tires guys. You know, save yourself some $$)

The local shop here gives free mount and balance if you buy the tires there. Saves me money.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 May 2012 16:43 #524758 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road

bountyhunter wrote: ]The local shop here gives free mount and balance if you buy the tires there. Saves me money.

I asked the local bike shop what a new set of tires would run me if I just bring them the bike and they quoted me $428 (dunlop tires) and said it would take at least 2 days because they don't have one of the tires in stock. :blink: The Shinko 712's ran me $160 with tubes, wheel bands, and shipping. My brother in law has a motorcycle jack/stand and I'm just going to take them the rims like my Uncle did. They charged him $80 to mount and balance tires on rims he brought in.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 May 2012 17:01 #524760 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
Dunlop/Dont lap/Dont Grip.........
Ive run some really cheap tires in the past on bikes I wasnt beating really hard and Ill be the 1st to admit even chen shins and kendas give a more assuring grip/ride than the old dunlops that came stock on most of these bikes B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
25 May 2012 17:18 #524766 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
I just put bridgestone battlaxs front and rear. Ive got probally 2,000 mile on them and they still look great. so far iam really happy with them i forget what they cost but it was more than $120

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
25 May 2012 17:28 #524770 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
Ive got Battlax tires on my LTD and they have been great, Probably got 4000 miles on them and going strong. Good overall performance, wet, dry, braking and going fast. Ive had good luck with Continetal, Pirelli Phantoms, and Avon Venoms

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
26 May 2012 01:45 - 26 May 2012 01:49 #524873 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road

Mullineaux wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: ]The local shop here gives free mount and balance if you buy the tires there. Saves me money.

I asked the local bike shop what a new set of tires would run me if I just bring them the bike and they quoted me $428 (dunlop tires) and said it would take at least 2 days because they don't have one of the tires in stock. :blink: The Shinko 712's ran me $160 with tubes, wheel bands, and shipping. My brother in law has a motorcycle jack/stand and I'm just going to take them the rims like my Uncle did. They charged him $80 to mount and balance tires on rims he brought in.

Hmmm....unusual to find people getting reamed worse than we do here in Kali: my local shop charges $20 each to mount/balance a "carry in", throws it in free for a tire bought there. They also come reasonably close (within maybe 15%) to matching internet prices on tires, batteries, shocks, etc.

I don't remember running Shinko in my last 33 years... but I ran Cheng Shin which are probably about the same, Dunlops, Avons, and a few others. The only true tire failure I ever had was Dunlop 404.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 May 2012 01:49 by bountyhunter.

More
26 May 2012 02:25 #524879 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic TIRE TALK - when the rubber meets the road
On various bikes I've had, new tires have been Battlax BT45s (did not like), BT015s (really didn't like), BT016 (ok, wore fast), Pirelli Diablos (great all around) and HD branded Dunlops (much better than I expected).

I liked the Diablos the best and would put them on everything but I think they are 17" only. Cheaper than all the Bridgestones too which I am not a fan of. The Dunlops were put on my KZ by the PO when he sold it and I can't complain. I will replace them with Shinkos when they wear out, the price is unbeatable.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter