KZ1000 CSR

More
17 May 2012 22:40 #523006 by DBINWI
KZ1000 CSR was created by DBINWI
I was looking at a 1980 KZ 1000 CSR for sale. Needs quite a bit of help to make it nice but doable.
Question I have is a lot of parts in Say Dennis Kirk Catalog show availablity except for CSR model.
What exactly does the CSR Stand for and how much different is it's Chassis.
When I look up exhaust pipes- seats etc they are available just not for the CSR

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2012 23:55 #523025 by gwolever
Replied by gwolever on topic KZ1000 CSR
Hey DB. I have been rebuilding an 82 CSR, so I can probably help you out some here.

First of all, there are a few different theories of what the csr stands for. Here is a recent thread you could check out:
www.kzrider.com/forum/6-paint-a-bodywork...t-does-csr-stand-for

Next, the CSR, I believe was only made for a couple of years. At least this is what many of the parts suppliers tell me when I have such difficulty finding replacement parts.

Overall, I have had great luck from Z1 enterprises for this model. The seat and exhaust I bought were for the LTD model though, and I am just going to make them fit.

The worst so far though have been new spokes and front rotors. The stainless steel spokes I finally found at Buchanan's website and had to order them custom as they had nothing in stock for this model. $155 per wheel.

The only replacement rotors I found for this model are EBC Pro-lite series. The rear was easy to get, but I ordered the fronts on March 12 and they will not get here until June 19. EBC supplier in CA had none in stock for this model, EBC in England had none in stock, so they have to make some and send them over.

All in all it has been a fairly easy build as far as a complete rebuild goes. Hope to finish it by July.

1982 KZ1000 CSR

More
18 May 2012 10:02 #523078 by DBINWI
Replied by DBINWI on topic KZ1000 CSR
Thanks for the reply, The wheels and brake rotors seem ok= It is going to need new brake master cylinders and maybe slaves. The main problem is the exhaust and seat
Guess for now I will assume CSR means Can't Stop Riding

More
18 May 2012 21:43 - 19 May 2012 03:59 #523239 by cpg
Replied by cpg on topic KZ1000 CSR
I have an '81 CSR and Z1 enterprises and ebay stores are where I get my parts. There are some other random places online if you look around. My local dealer is also really good. You can go on Kawasaki's website and look up parts diagrams and numbers and cross reference the part number with those for the LTD and other KZ's and many are interchangeable. The LTD seems to have a larger aftermarket following (think it was built longer) on ebay and online stores and many parts are interchangeable with the CSR (I bought pads and brake lines for an LTD and they fit my CSR). There are master cylinder and caliper rebuild kits available for the CSR's on both ebay and Z1 as well as some replacement masters on ebay so that shouldn't be an issue when you decide to do it. I went to SS lines so I would also highly recommend a set of braided stainless steel lines if yours are old or cracking at all. I also have an aftermarket exhaust from Kerker so there are aftermarket systems for it and I also had to redo my seat but I did it with high density foam and vinyl from a local craft store and just made my own seat and cover. If you need to cut foam, get a cheap electric meat carving knife from a second hand store like Goodwill. Once you get it running well you won't regret it, they are fantastic bikes, I love mine.

Current Bikes: KZ440 LTD and KZ305 CSR
Last edit: 19 May 2012 03:59 by cpg.

More
24 May 2012 10:00 - 24 May 2012 10:02 #524485 by HDDAN
Replied by HDDAN on topic KZ1000 CSR
Like gwolever said above, the rotors are really hard to find for the front. I have an 82 CSR1000 and I just started a thread looking for help with what wheels I can change to. I found a really nice set of wheels and rotors(alloy, note spoke) and I want to be sure that they will fit before I buy them. I also want to get rid of the rear shocks on my KZ. They are Progressives, but are lower than stock and I am an aggressive rider and keep bottoming out. They are in new condition. They were on the bike when I bought it.
Last edit: 24 May 2012 10:02 by HDDAN. Reason: spelling and to add more text

More
24 May 2012 10:04 #524486 by HDDAN
Saddleman makes a nice replacement seat cover for the stock seat. I have one on mine.

More
24 May 2012 10:59 - 24 May 2012 11:02 #524509 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000 CSR

HDDAN wrote: ... also want to get rid of the rear shocks on my KZ. They are Progressives, but are lower than stock and I am an aggressive rider and keep bottoming out. They are in new condition. They were on the bike when I bought it.

Perhaps bottoming is due to the spring rate not being stiff enough, provided the tire isn't hitting underside of rear fender.

Taller shocks with the same springs may also bottom out, unless the bottoming is actually being caused by tire hitting fender.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 May 2012 11:02 by Patton.

More
24 May 2012 12:22 #524528 by HDDAN
I misstated what I have, I have Proressive Suspension shocks and springs. I also have the stock shocks and springs and they are about an inch and a half longer than the Progressives. My tire hugs the fender and it looks better but it sounds to me like the exhaust or frame hitting. Thanks for the thought though. I will now look under the fender to see if it is the tire hitting the fender.

More
24 May 2012 13:55 #524541 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000 CSR

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD