• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
16 May 2012 20:03 #522761 by ed spangler
Handlebars was created by ed spangler
Hello
Am thinking I can change my stock '75 Z1-B 900 handlebars and be more comfortable with a set that has maybe 3" more "PullBack" which I interpret to mean they are closer to the rider by 3" Set I am pondering is almost same measurements , little narrower in width 2.5" ands 3" more pullback I think is the term used.
Anyone had any experience changing handlebars on their "Z" or "KZ"?
Suggestions?
Thanks

TennesseeZ ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2012 20:29 #522764 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Handlebars
Is your handlebar wiring inside or running outside the bars?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
16 May 2012 20:48 #522770 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Handlebars
In my opinion good handlebars are all about wrist position. I favor ones that leaves my wrist in a natural position almost straight. Makes twisting the throttle easier ;) too . I also like to be a little on my thighs as opposed to being straight up and down on my tailbone. I have seriously hurt my back in the past and find my thighs can absorb much more punishment than my spine. I like touring or MX style bars best as too straight, clubmans or clipons puts me too far forward and are only comfortable at highway speed with the wind assisting to hold you up and can be tiring even then. It kind of depends on how you ride. Kamikaze, tour or commute or any combo?

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
25 May 2012 22:48 #524828 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Handlebars
You can reroute your cables to accomidate the longer reach. I went from stock LTD bars to 12" mini ape hangers by reroutung my cables and wires.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
26 May 2012 07:38 - 26 May 2012 07:40 #524891 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Handlebars

djturnz wrote: You can reroute your cables to accomidate the longer reach. I went foom stock LTD bars to 12" mini ape hangers by reroutung my cables and wires.

Thanks, was your bike a ...900? 1000? early model? Late model?
That was something that made me pause....hate to have to start buying brake hoses,cables etc.
Z1 has a set of bars called Magna Hawks I think , which are around 2-3" narrower and have 10" Pullback vs 7" stock, thinking that would be enough to make a more comfortable ride. I am a straight up kinda rider, do more "Touring" type riding no Cafe, or fast turns,.Z1's bars are only around $30, looked at Dennis Kirks...holy cow!! they are like $140!! Maybe they are gold plated or something LOL!
Other thing I am pondering is seeing if I can find a KZ Police bike seat!! They look very comfortable and 99% of my riding is one up anyway, wife doesn't ride. Thing is my bikes a '75 model 900, not sure how these police bike seats attach to bike and if one from later model would work?
Thanks Everyone for the thoughts !
Tennesee Z ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's
Last edit: 26 May 2012 07:40 by ed spangler. Reason: change

More
26 May 2012 09:11 #524898 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Handlebars
I agree with Proxy, its personal preference. I bought Super Bike bars. Some call them Euro bars. I like to be a bit forward. Beware of cheaper prices bars. I got mine off Ebay for $25 with shipping but they did not have wholes in them for wires so I had to drill am file my own wholes. Not a big deal but you have the get the keeper whole for the hand controls in the right spot to keep them in the position you want. I ended up getting mine a bit to low but I have gotten used to it.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
27 May 2012 02:04 #525098 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic Handlebars
Pro taper offers a lot of real nice aluminum mx bars and I love mine 50 bucks and they are thick wall vibration dampping bars

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
27 May 2012 02:22 #525099 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Handlebars

kaw-a-holic wrote: I agree with Proxy, its personal preference. I bought Super Bike bars. Some call them Euro bars. I like to be a bit forward. Beware of cheaper prices bars. I got mine off Ebay for $25 with shipping but they did not have wholes in them for wires so I had to drill am file my own wholes. Not a big deal but you have the get the keeper whole for the hand controls in the right spot to keep them in the position you want. I ended up getting mine a bit to low but I have gotten used to it.

Which bikes had internal wires? Both my '76 900 and my '79 650 have wires outside the handlebars.

More
27 May 2012 10:48 - 23 Feb 2013 16:09 #525140 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 16:09 by martin_csr.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 May 2012 10:59 #525142 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Handlebars
Its been a while since Ive bought a new set of bars but daytona and k&n were both popular suppliers at one time if youre looking for ideas B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.