Do I need a shorter clutch cable?

More
14 May 2012 23:57 #522435 by BMAC-Z1900
Do I need a shorter clutch cable? was created by BMAC-Z1900
Hey guys. I have the "superbike" handlebars on my z1 900. I have the clutch adjusted all the way out, but there is still a ton of play in the clutch. It doesnt start to grab until about an inch to an inch and a half away from touching the grip. I dont know if it fully engages the clutch because the bike isnt running right now. Do I need a shorter clutch cable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2012 10:29 - 15 May 2012 10:36 #522489 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Do I need a shorter clutch cable?

BMAC-Z1900 wrote: Hey guys. I have the "superbike" handlebars on my z1 900. I have the clutch adjusted all the way out, but there is still a ton of play in the clutch. It doesnt start to grab until about an inch to an inch and a half away from touching the grip. I dont know if it fully engages the clutch because the bike isnt running right now. Do I need a shorter clutch cable?

When the handlebar clutch lever is being held squeezed tightly against the grip, the clutch is supposedly disengaged.

During release of the lever, then clutch is supposed to engage.

In the case at hand, when releasing the lever, is the clutch engaging too soon or too late?

If too soon, remove some slack from the cable.

If too late, add more slack to the cable.

Slack may be added or reduced at the knurled knob adjuster on the handlebar perch, or at the mid-way adjuster located against the left frame down tube near the #1 exhaust header.

Would also perform the clutch push rod adjustment.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 May 2012 10:36 by Patton.

More
15 May 2012 10:44 #522490 by BMAC-Z1900
Replied by BMAC-Z1900 on topic Do I need a shorter clutch cable?
Yea I already have the knurled knob adjusted all the way out, and it still has a lot of slack in the line and that's why I was thinking I needed a shorter line

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
15 May 2012 14:18 #522514 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Do I need a shorter clutch cable?
Check the adjuster in the middle of the cable - screw together to increase slack and screw apart to decrease slack. Follow the instructions Patton posted for adjusting the cable.

I have drag bars on my bike and I still use the stock length cable on my bike so you should be able to adjust the cable to work correctly with your bars unless you had much taller bars to begin with.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT