How Can I Install New Handle Bars on my '77 KZ650?

More
12 May 2012 03:25 - 12 May 2012 03:35 #521743 by Prophis
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi all, this is my bike, and i'm working on it just a little bit to give it my personal taste.

77 kz650 custom, i believe it's just stock handle bars right now, but i really like the look and want to install Clip-On Style.

I'm looking at buying these:

It's suppose to not be to complex, but i'm wondering if I should take it somewhere, or try myself. Just not sure about the steps, (would get new grips also) ...i could take my current ones off for sure, and probably install them, but from there, anyone have a good tutorial/pdf that runs through that?

Attachment 2012-04-26_11-44-21_608_2012-05-12.jpg not found

Attachment 2012-04-23_14-41-16_328_2012-05-12.jpg not found

~~~~
Grips

OR,

OR,

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :woohoo:
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 May 2012 03:35 by Prophis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2012 11:05 #521779 by cobura
Nice bike! Installing clip-ons isnt very hard. You just need to be sure that the ones you are buying fit your bike's fork tube diameter.

One problem you will run into is that, once you take off your handlebars, you will be left with the old brackets that used to hold the handlebars. Cant remember where, but I've seen a clock that is in the shape of a tube, designed to fill this empty space and add a clock to your bike.

1979 KZ650B3

More
13 May 2012 02:26 #521964 by Prophis
Yea they're 36mm

Oh really? hmmm does that center part stick out like an ugly sore thumb, or just useless space?
maybe clubman bars would look better?? i prefer clip ons, but haven't exactly seen any on my exact bike either.

that clock or something like that piece sounds cool

More
13 May 2012 02:54 #521971 by MFolks
www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-Clip-dsh-ons/Categories is one website for clip on handlebars, I'm sure others are out there.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 May 2012 02:57 #521972 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic How Can I Install New Handle Bars on my '77 KZ650?
Going to clip-ons means your switch wiring will now need to be re-routed, it is currently inside your handlebars. Your clutch and throttle cables are going to be too long and your brake line will be entirely too long. You have to consider your master cylinder and its reservoir. Is all of that and your levers going to fit? Will the reservoir be at an angle that will allow you to open it without the fluid spilling out? Will there be interference with the gas tank, will you have to put a mechanical stop on the triple tree to prevent that?
Clip-ons have definitely been used but these concerns must be addressed prior.

This is why Clubman bars exist. They give you the positioning that clip-ons give without the extra issues that come up on a bike that was originally designed for handlebars. Plus, if you want to go back to more upright bars, it's easier.
My 2 sheckles worth...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prophis

More
13 May 2012 02:58 - 13 May 2012 03:00 #521973 by Prophis
Thanks for the link, they're real high quality :woohoo:
Last edit: 13 May 2012 03:00 by Prophis.

More
13 May 2012 03:10 #521974 by Prophis
Diamond blue, thanks a lot for the run down. It's a lot to consider and i would defiantly have to do it with a pal who works on bikes.

If clubman is a similar look then maybe i will go with them. Would it same some trouble, or pretty much be just as much work?

I Almost completely love my bike, only don't want to be holding my hands up or out..i wanna be resting/riding/leaning on the bars B)

More
25 May 2012 22:56 #524833 by djturnz
You will get tired a lot quicker leaning on your shoulders the whole ride. I think some supercross bars would look sweet.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
25 May 2012 23:15 - 25 May 2012 23:21 #524840 by Cuff
If you're just using your bike as a bar hopper or general around town bike I'd go with the clip-ons. They look better than clubman (imho) and are a little more adjustable for pull back, hight. I found a deal on my clip-ons but they were the wrong size (right size for my Versys though) so I had a machine shop turn me a couple of 'sleves' for inside and they fit great.

You can go two ways with the install as well.
1. raise your bike by the frame and lower your tubes. Install the clip-ons and re install tubes.
2. loosen your triples (NOT TOO MUCH AND ONLY ONE AT A TIME hehe). raise the tubes in your triples and attach the clip-ons to the exposed tube sitting proud of the triple.

I did option 2 but stiffend up the springs so as not to botttome out. Have fun and work safe.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 May 2012 23:21 by Cuff.