10.25" shocks on a KZ750 - how crazy am I?

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
10 May 2012 00:20 #521147 by Hatchet
I found a set of 10.25" covered shocks which I think would be perfect for my '83 KZ750 LTD. The bike is too tall for me and I had originally planned on lowering a good two inches anyway - with 11" shocks. But now I've found these, and I'm reconsidering.

Will this be overkill? Will I be able to use the bike with springs this short? I was eyeballing the frame this afternoon and I dunno - I feel like a 10" shock would be pretty darn close to the seat pan. It would fit all right, but it's the "shock" part that worries me. I don't want to burn holes in my pants when I go over speedbumps.

There was a guy on ChopKult who did 10" even on the back of his 750LTD - which looked awesome and fit great - BUT they were solid struts, not springs. No rubbing issues. Different animal.

Someone needs to either egg me on, or talk me out of this.

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2012 00:35 #521156 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic 10.25" shocks on a KZ750 - how crazy am I?
Bump stops and go for it.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
10 May 2012 01:07 #521167 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 10.25" shocks on a KZ750 - how crazy am I?
Could mount just one shock, then sit on bike to determine any clearance issue with rear tire.

The single shock should allow the bike to fully sink to the shock bumper, and indicate what will happen when the rear suspension bottoms out while riding.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
10 May 2012 01:44 #521175 by Hatchet
Replied by Hatchet on topic 10.25" shocks on a KZ750 - how crazy am I?
I chickened out and went with the 11.5" model.

I figure a drop from 13.5" will still be real considerable.

My main gripe was that I want to upgrade to some fat vintage Firestones in the future. If I'm pushing the envelope with the stock tires... :pinch: gotta leave myself a little room.

I should have the 11" shocks in a couple days, so we'll see what I think (they were only $30). If I still feel like pushing it, I might still pick up the 10-ers just to experiment with.

Low bikes generally get me kind of riled up. We'll see if 2" lower is enough to satisfy.

Thanks for your input guys.

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

More
10 May 2012 11:20 #521219 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic 10.25" shocks on a KZ750 - how crazy am I?
That's a belt drive bike right?

Check the clearance on the underside of the swing arm - the belt will come close to the swing arm pivot area.

Also, make sure the rear wheel does not hit the frame cross-brace on the underside of the seat.

10.25" shocks will have a couple of inches travel - so I think you'll run into issues with both the belt and the tire hitting the frame. You can mock this up with a couple of length of wood with holes drilled 8" apart to show the worse case travel.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
10 May 2012 11:26 #521221 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic 10.25" shocks on a KZ750 - how crazy am I?
So.... :whistle: Are those 13.5" shocks in good shape? I want to bump my rear up, I have 12.5 stock.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter