steering head nut torque down setting ?

More
03 Jun 2006 21:02 #51920 by dan76kz900
steering head nut torque down setting ? was created by dan76kz900
I installed a new set of steering head stem bearings today.. and as I put it back together.. I couldnt figure out how tight that nut needs to be ? I have a clymers manual, but it says nothing about this. Anyone know off hand or have specs ? Also, I use a pipe wrench to snug this nut up.. carefully.. :blink: As, I dont have the right tool for this.

This is for my kz900..

I went with the allballsracing.com bearing set.. it seemed to be a good quality set. It came with seals which was nice. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2006 22:33 #51929 by sbjones
Replied by sbjones on topic steering head nut torque down setting ?
dan, i just did mine yesterday. i used a pair of channel locks and put it to about 50 lbs. (i checked it after i found my spanner wrench)

the book i have says 25ft/lbs. but man i tried that and i thought it was way to loose for me.

let me know what you do,B)

• jbw7300
  • User
  • you can't ride if your fried
More
04 Jun 2006 03:03 #51937 by jbw7300
Replied by jbw7300 on topic steering head nut torque down setting ?
no torque reading in the manual because it would change too much bike to bike, you need to do a bearing preload this is why there are two nuts one to load and one to lock , this is just like doing beaings in a car, thighten bottom nut till you feel resistance when turning forks back and forth then back off till it turns smooth thighten top nut check for play in forks if its ok then your all set if not repeat proceduer you may have had too much grease in the bearings hope this helps

84 kz 700 a1 sports

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2006 09:10 #51970 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic steering head nut torque down setting ?
jbw7300 wrote:

no torque reading in the manual because it would change too much bike to bike, you need to do a bearing preload this is why there are two nuts one to load and one to lock , this is just like doing beaings in a car, thighten bottom nut till you feel resistance when turning forks back and forth then back off till it turns smooth thighten top nut check for play in forks if its ok then your all set if not repeat proceduer you may have had too much grease in the bearings hope this helps

ditto.;)

More
05 Jun 2006 21:48 #52447 by dan76kz900
Replied by dan76kz900 on topic steering head nut torque down setting ?
I only have one nut :unsure:

But then, I have the big bolt ontop that goes on after the handle bar part goes on.

How exactaly do I check for play in the forks ? If it's too lose the steering stem will rock ?

I guess I'm over thinking about this.. :P

More
05 Oct 2006 16:15 #82057 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic steering head nut torque down setting ?
Well, how did the bearing install come out? Is everything working OK? I am just at the point of needing to torque the stem nut and can't imagine how to do it. Manual says 19-24 ft-lb, but how do you torque with a spanner wrench?? As far as "feeling resistance"; is this using the handle bars to turn the front end? I only have the tree on there now, not even fork legs. I would think I would feel resistance long before you would cranking on a big set of handlebars or fork legs. Once again I am confused and have turned to the kzrider membership for help! :S :blink:

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250