I need a master cylinder

More
03 Jun 2006 11:12 #51833 by SuperTrey
I need a master cylinder was created by SuperTrey
I need a good used master cylinder for a '78 kz1000. I found a new one on the internet but i hoped one of ya'll might have a good used one that doesn't need a rebuild kit. Thanks for the help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2006 08:02 #52195 by waterman
Replied by waterman on topic I need a master cylinder
The option is always there to buy an old one and rebuild it. I took a different route. I needed a front MC to replace my slanted (LTD) MC. I bought a MC from a 1200 Bandit and did some minor re-wiring to attach the brakelight wiring. Its a 2002 so it didn't need to be rebuilt and is more compact than an old one. I got it for about $40. You could also look to get one off of a ZRX.

Also, Magura sells new ones for about $100. They work for a dual caliper system and can be wired for brakelights. Bottom line is that there are a lot of options, even the type with a remote reservoir, but certainly would detract from any stock look.

More
05 Jun 2006 08:17 #52199 by hgelles
Replied by hgelles on topic I need a master cylinder
So I got the 79 1000 ltd and surprise surprise, its the same leaky FMC that I had on the 750 b4.

On the b4, I replaced it with an early 80s square box which was nice and tight. the b4 had the electric switch down by the lower coupler, so I didnt have to do any re-wiring. There was a nice guy on Ebay from NJ that gave it to me after I bought a lot of stuff from him.

I had a local guy build me a longer hose for 25 bucks with tax (just needed about an inch, the original end was touching the lower banjo), and I was able to stop again (this was a good thing).

Thinking about doing something similar on this one, I noticed wetness (not a bad leak), as soon as the guy pulled away. Any thoughts other than its a dual disc not a single?