Diagnosing handling problems. Solution

More
22 Apr 2012 09:21 #517250 by Medina
Thanks patton, thats what my manual shows, the kink is that when its loose enough, there is play.

les, 650, I had new bearings put in last winter. One of the rare and I mean rare and I'm regretting letting them do it. (the whole its cheap and fast thing) And this is the painful part, I assume they put new tapered in... I sent the guy an email as their shop was closed.
I am thinking they a) didn't replace them, or b) used the cheaper, older style somehow.
Much, much gratitude for the replies. I'll screw with it today, short ride the rains have passed and then take it for a ride to see if I can live it till winter.
It wasn't that bad really initially..but being anal retentive and tend to screw with things constantly...I couldn't ignore it. already its much better.
best, CWG

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2012 10:10 #517254 by Patton
Maybe new roller bearings were installed, but with same old worn dimpled races left in place. :pinch:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2012 11:49 #517288 by Medina
Some of the play in the front end was the jack, it was moving a bit, also some slack in the lower ends of the fork seem to be movement there, not in the bearings.

AND if they hosed me by short cutting the races...oh all hell breaks loose.

ha! made a spanner wrench from an 1/8" piece of steel rod, bent to shape, heat treated, its only about 5" long and fits right up in there!

Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread

More
22 Apr 2012 12:00 #517292 by Patton

Medina wrote: Some of the play in the front end was the jack, it was moving a bit, also some slack in the lower ends of the fork seem to be movement there, not in the bearings....

Any play in the bearings would mean it's too loose.

Test for play in the bearings by grasping bottoms of forks and pushing forward and backward.
Should be able to hear and/or feel any play.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Apr 2012 12:30 - 22 Apr 2012 12:31 #517301 by Medina
Ok, at the point where I cant feel any play beyond the actual flex of the fork tubes.
So...turns nice and easy. All is well, except that when I tighten down the head bolt around 15-20#'s the play gets tighter. Goes from 2-3 pounds on the pull gauge (from center to either lockstop) to 6#'s and the steering goes noticeably too tight.
Sign of...what? what was mentioned, bad races etc?
thanks, CWG

Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
Last edit: 22 Apr 2012 12:31 by Medina.

More
22 Apr 2012 23:12 #517436 by Patton

Medina wrote: Ok, at the point where I cant feel any play beyond the actual flex of the fork tubes.
So...turns nice and easy. All is well, except that when I tighten down the head bolt around 15-20#'s the play gets tighter. Goes from 2-3 pounds on the pull gauge (from center to either lockstop) to 6#'s and the steering goes noticeably too tight.
thanks, CWG

If not already done, could try to compensate by setting the spanner nut slightly too loose, in hopes that subsequently tightening the head bolt will snug things up enough to remove the play and leave the free handlebar swing from side to side.

Objective is for the handlebar to swing from side to side (stop to stop) as freely as possible, without having any play in the bearings.

Might be able to feel the effect of dimpled races when turning the handlebar from side to side.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Apr 2012 08:03 #517495 by Medina
In my mind, thats what I was going to attempt this morning Patton, the too loose method.
I'm none too happy, I've done this operation to half a dozen bikes, its one of easy things amateur mechanics can do successfully and feel like a pro. Even my ancient kz400 with 60K and original bearings would tighten up like the book says.
As to feeling anything, I cant feel any binding, dimples etc when its tight.
I've done dozens and dozens of wheel bearings, essentially this is the same (forgive the simplicity) A "feel" more than a specification. Its just stumped me.

I'm quite positive this has been the main problem in my handling headache.

Many many thanks for every ones input.

Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread

More
23 Apr 2012 10:00 #517518 by Patton

Medina wrote: Ok, at the point where I cant feel any play beyond the actual flex of the fork tubes.
thanks, CWG

If needed, this link is to a down-loadable free manual.

Probably includes a step-by-step guide to installation of the steering stem, diagram, etc.

May discover an assembly error, because am pretty sure that tightening the stem head bolt should not further tighten play in the bearings as determined by setting with the stem locknut.

Just guessing, but maybe the fork tube clamps were too tight during assembly of the steering assembly, or a bearing race isn't correctly seated, or a part is missing, or a washer is flipped, or whatever.

www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...;id=77&Itemid=99

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Apr 2012 10:53 - 23 Apr 2012 12:38 #517535 by Medina
Yup, I actually have the Kawasaki KZ1100 1981-82 Motorcycle Service Manual.
MAN, there are more typo's and incomplete instructions... I also downloaded the manual, and put it onto a flash drive, same flash drive has links and passwords (coded) to various websites, this is packed with a silicone packet, wrapped in plastic, placed inside a small ziplock bag, lightly glued to the inside uppper portion of the fairing. JUST in case, whilst on a road trip something happens.
As small as flash drives are, amazed everyone doesn't do that if they travel more than 100 miles from home.

I'm going to start by taking the bike BACK to the shop that supposedly installed the steering head bearings/races etc.

CWG

EDIT: Took the bike back, they didn't seem too concerned I'd brought it back.
I looked at my receipt and they are allballs tapered set-looking him in the eye he assured me they pulled the races, and I bitched about the front tire they put on, LOL. Told the way I was taught when balancing tires, if one side of the tire needed 4 ounces of weight, to let the air out, break the bead and move the rubber 180 degrees around THEN try to balance again.
I'll update tomorrow, the promised date of delivery.

Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
Last edit: 23 Apr 2012 12:38 by Medina.

More
25 Apr 2012 21:56 #518092 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Diagnosing handling problems. Solution
Well, it seems the mechanic..and I use that word loosely...overtorqued the steering head bolt, deforming the lower bearings.
Replaced.

NOT pleased with my self for taking it in. a 75.00 job, I could have, should have done my self.

regards, and thanks for everyone's input

Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread