Disk Brake Conversion

More
15 Apr 2012 18:00 #515969 by roy-b-boy-b
Disk Brake Conversion was created by roy-b-boy-b
I pulled the drum brake KZ900 on the rack. I am going to tear it down to the frame and paint it then install the big cam engine.
The spoke wheels are not in good shape and since I like the LTD style I am going to convert to mags with disk brakes.
I removed the bracket from the wrecked that holds the rear master cylinder last week.

Things I have found out today.

I will have to use the motor mount off the wrecked bike on the right side.

The front bracket for the battery to frame swapped out with no problem. The pieces from the wrecked bike bolted right up.

The Master cylinder blocks the access to the battery. I could go to a later model box but the back bolts on the battery box don't line up with the frame.

Side covers are a question as I don't have any for a 76 model.

My back is killing me so I quit. :pinch: More later.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2012 21:29 - 15 Apr 2012 21:32 #516036 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Disk Brake Conversion
I think I got everything bolted up good enough to weld. I will leave the battery box in the bike to keep the rear master in place while I weld it.

The 77 side covers will work. One tab fits in the tool box,one fits in the bracket that fits to the rear master and the top front fits like it should. That is money saved.

It took me at least one hour to remove the brake pedal. Stuck is not the word.

There was not one drop of greese on the swingarm piviot bolt. So much for dealer prep and maintaince.

More tomorrow.

Last edit: 15 Apr 2012 21:32 by roy-b-boy-b.

More
16 Apr 2012 17:53 #516216 by roy-b-boy-b
I got a late start buy I got the battery box area squared away. It is a tight fit. I used the original battery box. I had to remove the rubber bumpers from the electrical side of the box to clear the master cylinder mount.

I also had to remove two threeads from the welded nut on the brackket for the rear master cylinder.

Re: KZ900 A4
« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:27:22 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic

I got a late start buy I got the battery box area squared away. It is a tight fit. I used the original battery box. I had to remove the rubber bumpers from the electrical side of the box to clear the master cylinder mount.

I also had to remove two threeads from the welded nut on the brackket for the rear master cylinder.

I had to use a brake pedal off of a 1979 LTD as the 1977 brake pedal was too wide in the area where it bolts to the frame.

had to use the 1976 type rear caliper because I don't have a torque arm for the newer style caliper.

The one I am using is very heavy as it is made of cast Iron. I need to update this later.

This is the one I need to use.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Apr 2012 02:28 #516286 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Disk Brake Conversion
B) B) B) B) B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
17 Apr 2012 11:52 #516324 by roy-b-boy-b
I tacked the bracket on today and started removing parts. The speedo and tach work. That's a good thing.

I am going back to Omaha in June. I do hope to carry it with me. Roy