83' Kawasaki Z400 j3

More
06 Apr 2012 08:20 #514316 by Sackless
83' Kawasaki Z400 j3 was created by Sackless
Hello,

Basically the front brake is spongy and no matter how many time we go through the process of bleeding them we can't get the required pressure, its like an air bubble is trapped somewhere in the system.

Any ideas gentlemen?

PS sorry If this is the wrong section for this question!

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Ernest Hemingway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2012 13:09 #514390 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 83' Kawasaki Z400 j3
That's a rare bike, at least in the U.S.

When I bleed the front brakes, I take the front calipers off and put them on a table near the same height as the master. Then I put a spacer in place of the pads and disk. By bleeding them this way, you don't have to fight gravity and the bubbles don't get trapped. Make sure the bleed nipples on the calipers are pointing up as they would if installed on the bike.

Also, make sure the master gets bled. This means the master cylinder should be near horizontal. Bubbles will appear at the tiny bleed holes inside the reservoir.

More
10 Apr 2012 07:31 #514967 by Sackless
Replied by Sackless on topic 83' Kawasaki Z400 j3
Thanks, thats a good idea (and obvious when you mention it)

Would you happen to know any master cylinders (after market/other brand) that would fit? It may be the case I have to replace mine.

Cheers

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Ernest Hemingway.

More
10 Apr 2012 13:29 #515021 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 83' Kawasaki Z400 j3
If the J3 has a single disc in the front, then you chouls be able to use one from a KZ550A model. If it has dual discs, then you can use a master from a gpz 550 (KZ550D, H, or ZX550A).

The way to tell is to take it apart and see how bad the pitting is inside the master cylinder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sackless

More
12 Apr 2012 08:01 #515377 by Sackless
Replied by Sackless on topic 83' Kawasaki Z400 j3
Part ordered, nice one mate!

Ernest Hemingway.