81 csr1000 front sprocket removal

More
04 Apr 2012 02:18 #513940 by nedrowjoe
81 csr1000 front sprocket removal was created by nedrowjoe
Ok, so I went ahead and ordered my 630 to 530 chain/sprocket conversion from Z1 enterprises. I guess in the 5 or 6 times I have had the front sprocket cover off I never realized how the sprocket was mounted. I'm assuming the front sprocket I am removing is original the bike has only 14,000 miles on it and the sprockets are bad, I mean they look like a drawing of waves on the ocean I made when I was 5, lol. I have been working on bikes my whole life, I have removed countless front sprockets, I have never encountered this type of setup. To be honest it is intimidating, There are two interlocking brackets that lock into each other and then the sprocket, as well as a nut. The sprocket I ordered, and I spent 30 min on the phone with one of the guys at Z1 making sure I got the right stuff for my bike, has not holes or divets or whatever you want to call them, What am I getting myself into? And no, I still dont have a manual. What am I going to need to put this front sprocket on? Do you guys know if there is a retaining clip under the stock mess of a sprocket mount? I was planning on an hour of changing parts and another hour of cleaning now I'm concerned I'm gonna need more parts, I know a ton of you guys have seen and dealt with what I'm talking about. Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2012 00:23 #514298 by nedrowjoe
Replied by nedrowjoe on topic 81 csr1000 front sprocket removal
never mind guys, I figured this one out on my own. If anyone ever comes across this setup,first leave the back tire on, you will need the brake to hold the sprocket in place with the chain. bend the tabs out of the grooves. then use a breaker bar with the someone holding the back break to hold the sprocket in place. I had to remove my new 530 sprocket, put the old one on, put the tire/brake assembly and the old chain back on the get enough behind it without the engine turning over. I use a hammer on a concrete floor to bend the tabs backward on the clip so it interlocked the opposite way from stock. The tabs can be bent to lock on the bolt that fastens the sprocket, kinda like the locking brackets that lock the nuts on the rear sprocket. good luck!

More
06 Apr 2012 00:41 - 06 Apr 2012 00:41 #514302 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 81 csr1000 front sprocket removal
You can hold the front sprocket using a piece of chain and 2 bolts (see pic) and not need a 2nd person holding the brake and not stress the brake system. That loop between the 2 bolts goes around the swingarm. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Apr 2012 00:41 by 650ed.