period tripple tree swap for clean up

More
18 Mar 2012 00:17 #510338 by ncpanther20
period tripple tree swap for clean up was created by ncpanther20
I have an 82 LTD and am looking to replace my triple tree to clean up and replace the gauges, and I was looking at a set of ZX1100A GPZ triple trees, top and bottom, but I am unsure of the steering stem length, the parts fiche shows they use the same upper and lower bearings as well the the upper bearing cap. but they do not show specs for the parts, but if anyone could help me out by measuring theirs or offering any knowledge of the compatibility

thanks

re-wire

82 KZ1000 K2 LTD
530 conversion; 18" police rear wheel and tire; Rear sets; Longer rear shock; Bar end mirrors; HEL braided steal brake lines; PIAA bulb, Dyna 2000 ignition; Kerker 4-1 exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
18 Mar 2012 12:04 #510415 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic period tripple tree swap for clean up
it is common to just swap the stems . if u end up with the wrong length u can remove the stems from each 1 and swap them around. most guys do this when the put a modern front end on an old bike.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
18 Mar 2012 13:31 #510432 by ncpanther20
Replied by ncpanther20 on topic period tripple tree swap for clean up
thanks Mark,

I have read that also, but I have no ability to weld, and I am new to the area where I live and have not made friends with a welder here yet. I seems most of the swaps I have read about have to grind off the factory weld and machine a way to press fit it into the new lower steering head. I also have no press., nor have any friends here yet that do. :(

So I was really hoping for a direct swap with no mods if possible. Even if it means looking into a more expensive and more modern front end. I hate not having the tools I need and cant afford at this time.

82 KZ1000 K2 LTD
530 conversion; 18" police rear wheel and tire; Rear sets; Longer rear shock; Bar end mirrors; HEL braided steal brake lines; PIAA bulb, Dyna 2000 ignition; Kerker 4-1 exhaust

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
18 Mar 2012 14:20 - 18 Mar 2012 14:21 #510438 by mark1122
i dont know that there is any direct swap modern front ends. in some cases, maybe yours, the stem is the right length but wrong diameter. sometimes u can get away with a bearing swap. places like all balls bearings. (try google)

dont be afraid to take it to a local metal fab shop. it is very easy for them. just do your homework, ant tell them what u want done. this will be cheaper than a hole front end swap, and would likely need to be done anyways. this is how i do it. all i have is a few hand tools no welder or mill.

· the other option would be to mail the parts to our favorite in house, all around fab guy, 531blackbanshee ( Leon) and he will do the work for a reasonable price. u will be assured of getting the best work.
:)

PS make sure the gpz forks r the same width, and size od .

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2012 14:21 by mark1122.

More
18 Mar 2012 15:16 - 18 Mar 2012 15:19 #510445 by ncpanther20
ooo000ooo!!!!

I found a great reference chart for fork tube diameters.

that was a great suggestion you had about checking for tube diameters. seems that there is a 1mm difference in tube diameters in the two bike I was looking at. and this is a great reference chart for futher research, I am posting it incase it can help others with upper triple tree swaps or steering head swaps.

www.ohiocaferacers.com/OCRTubeSizes.pdf

and for further info for stems lengths and diameters

www.ohiocaferacers.com/OCRStemSizes.pdf

82 KZ1000 K2 LTD
Last edit: 18 Mar 2012 15:19 by ncpanther20. Reason: add

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
18 Mar 2012 16:44 #510454 by mark1122
So what r u thinking of doing now ?

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
18 Mar 2012 17:33 #510467 by ncpanther20
honestly... lots of research, lol.

now i have to pull parts references for bearings from many other bikes, stem measurements, fork tube diameter. and then find out if anyone is selling them, lol. fun stuff. but i think even with the 1mm difference, a small spacer can be made from a notebook cover to fill the gap if needed.

but I may start a build thread, though I am sure it wont be followed as thoroughly as others. I don't plan anything other than easy basic stuff.

but thanks for the proding and interest

82 KZ1000 K2 LTD

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
18 Mar 2012 17:44 #510469 by mark1122
i dont think u need to go so deep in your research to start off. just decide if u want a new front end, then what type. Conventional, or up side down. most of the time its simply a stem swap , or a bearing swap. so just about anything will work. if u find something u like , just ask about it and we may have some help for u.
then the fun part. trying to find a donor for a good price. most any will work, u just need to keep some things in mind.
#1. once u do the front, depending on what u choose, u may need to do the back . lol
for example , if u choose a modern rim, it will not match the back end.
it will likely be lower to.

Pics r always nice to.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
18 Mar 2012 18:02 #510471 by ncpanther20
this is what i am starting with. police rear rim and tire, 530 chain conversion, taller rear shocks, cafe seat by sergeants seats.

and I am on a budget, like a going back to school at 30 with a family and renting out my house while staying in an overpriced apt budget.

so I got to keep it cheap. so all i want is to clean up the gauges and move the ignition switch. my current upper triple tree isn't very friendly to that idea, lol. so i was thinking of changing just that, or if its cheap enough, J model forks as well.

82 KZ1000 K2 LTD
Attachments:

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
18 Mar 2012 18:31 - 18 Mar 2012 18:36 #510478 by mark1122
well then , thats dif.
we may be able to help u mod your top tree to make it work for u. do u have a pic of the gauge area.
what did u have in mind for guages ?

the bike looks great. nice job. B)
there r a few sweet caffees hear. look through the gallery some time. Dutch's comes to mind. i'll see if i can find it for u.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2012 18:36 by mark1122.

More
18 Mar 2012 18:50 #510482 by Roca
Replied by Roca on topic period tripple tree swap for clean up
Man you sound like me. I am 30 with four kids getting ready to start college too. I also have a 1980 kz550 I'm gonna use as a daily driver that I have been working on.

1980 KZ550-C2 LTD Custom

More
18 Mar 2012 19:19 #510492 by ncpanther20
mark
here are a few pics of the upper tree. there would be a lot of cutting and adding of material to make it work . I am not sure if its worth the effort for someone or not. I figured after shipping, it might be easier to just get a clean slate. the last picture is an ebay image. i saw this one from a ZX1100 and thought that would be easy to modify. and it is just $40 and free shipping. but it is designed for a smaller fork tube, but i figured that would be easy to machine out a bit.

I had hopped for modern dual guages with electronic inputs, since the LTD was equipped for them. But those guages are out of my price range, and I would still need to create dummy lights (bright. oil pressure, turn, neutral, ect) so now my thoughts are of an ACEWELL full function digital guage.

but I am very open to suggestions, I had to move away from all of my biker buddies and have no one to brainstorm with these days. school and work take up too much time to make any connection in my area.

Roca
good luck buddy. you will need it. i work 60 hrs/week and take 2 night classes, and have very little time for the family. i have been at it for 2 years now and have many, many years left.

but you do have a bonus i dont... my bike is in pieces. so i dont get to ride and have little time to fix my bike. I hope to make better use of my time and get it back together over the summer

82 KZ1000 K2 LTD